7/7/17

Back and forth

I keep switching between two projects; Simply Delicious, which doesn't have a name and the green quilt, that has a bad name...I've got to do better if it's going to be shown. 

I've been quilting bubbles in the green quilt's outer border, but I need a quilting hand project.  Monday night's guild is bring hand work, get assigned a random table, and get to meet some new people in the guild.  It's a great idea and one I would normally run from like it was on fire.  But, I'm hoping I don't talk myself out of it.  I'd really like to get to meet some more guild members.  I know quite a few, but it's a 500 member guild and about 120 people come to meetings.  And, I know a fraction of them.  So, knowing more members is a good thing for me.  I plan to be hand sewing the binding on Simply Delicious. 

For a short time, I considered adding another border after quilting.  I know...hardly ever done, but do-able.  I've done it.  I thought about adding a narrow dark inner border and then a wider border to finish it off.  But, when the quilting was done and it was laid flat, it didn't need it. 


I got Rob to go out in the back yard with me for pictures last weekend.  It's not been washed and blocked, but most of the blue ink is washed out. 


All that quilting and you can hardly see it, just like I intended. 


But, when it's hung on the wall in the living room, and the lamp shines from below and to the left, all those orange peel curves are going to POP! 


This is the back.  You can't see any quilting there.  The back was in the box I had been keeping the UFO in, neatly folded up.  I've been working on this quilt so long, I thought it came with the kit.  But, I don't think so.  This was a blue and white sheet.  And, when I saw it, I vaguely remembered stumbling up on sheets being sold individually and picking this one up because I thought it would be perfect.  And, I was so right!  I used a pale blue cotton thread on the top and a white thread in the bobbin and got the tension just right so neither shows on the other side. 

I have the binding fabric.  I don't know if it came with the kit or not.  Probably.  But, now I'm off to cut it into strips and sew them back together. 

Everybody have a great Friday!  The weekend is upon us.  I've taken some days off next week to paint the bathroom.  Woo-hoo!  My life is so exciting. 

Lane

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nearly there, Lane. The subtle quilting is going to be such a wonderful surprise when the lamp shines on the quilt. It's going to be stunning!!

Becky said...

Another beauty!!! Love it!
Be sure to attend the Guild meeting...network, network, network!!! hahaha

Love ya!
Becky

Mari said...

This looks so great! You're right, it didn't need another border. The quilting is amazing. You're going to enjoy looking at this one for a while. Have fun painting that bathroom! (I know, "fun" is not the right word!)

jane said...

you are a real master and have created great quilts, but this is my favorite. I like the fruits. I don't know why but I love it best.

Dot said...

Your quilt is, ahem, simply luscious even without the border. So many thing to like about it - the variegated background, intricate quilting, the quality of your applique work, and the strong fruit colors showcased by soft blue. Really looking forward to seeing what you use for this special quilt's border.

Anonymous said...

Once again you have made us so proud of you. The quilt is exquisite.
Where do you get all the patience needed to do such work...
Come paint my kitchen cabinets when you get finished with your bathroom. GO TO GUILD AND MEET NEW PEOPLE... lum

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a gorgeous quilt. Looks wonderful just the way it is.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic quilt! Mary