10/16/17

Slow and steady wins...something

As the contractor and crew have built the new deck, I have been working in the studio.  Slow and steady.

I've been working on Radiant.  I've done nearly as much picking out as putting in.  But, I have the basis of the quilting done.  I think at this point, all I can do is bind it and then decide if it needs any more quilting in the border to fill in the spaces.  I won't know how big the spaces are til it's squared and bound. 



I couldn't just do a straight line with feathers along it.  Believe me.  I tried.  I put in my basting for marking and I put in the spine.  And, I put feathers down one side and figured out how to do the corners.  And, I sat down Saturday morning and picked it all out.  And, I marked again.  This time, I used tissue paper to mark the spine and two marking lines to quilt between so I could make uniform feathers, then feathered between them, added the echo, and then picked out the two marking lines.  Easy-peasy, right? 

Easy may be overrated. 

I also put the Sew Fresh Christmas quilt together.  This will be the next thing I quilt. 


Just needs a couple borders.  A narrow green and then the fabric that inspired this quilt; a paisley in reds and greens that I've been waiting to use in a holiday quilt for years. 

Here's the progress on the deck so far.  There's a huge pile of lumber in the back yard.  Today, they'll dig the rest of the post holes and set the posts in concrete.  Tomorrow, they level the deck and start adding the decking.  Slow and steady.  That's how you build a deck.  And often how I make a quilt. 


It's very funny to watch the dogs try to get into the back yard.  The beagle jumps over, the small dog goes under.  Sometimes they get stuck in a square and need encouragement, or they just stand there and look confused.  But, the crew is really doing a great job and leveling the ground under it so it will drain...we can already see the difference in mosquitos in the yard. 

Well, it's off to work for me.  Time to face the crazy.  Everybody have a great Monday. 

This has been rolling around in my head all weekend. 

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain...and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from the earth.  Abraham Lincoln, The Gettysburg Address.

Lane






5 comments:

Dot said...

Your quilting is lovely - the stitches so even and your quilting patterns so shapely. I remember when machine quilting was a source of controversy. If the doubters could have time traveled to see your quilting, they would have sniffed and gotten very quiet.....

We have a great deal of rebuilding ahead of us.

Isn't it a pleasure to watch a well done project - the crew building your deck and yourself creating striking quilts - come to life?

Anonymous said...

Awesome quilting! The Christmas quilt looks great. It came together nicely. Hope you have a great day. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Mari said...

Radiant is already so beautiful that I don't know what else you could do to it. All that picking out was certainly worth it! And the Christmas quilt looks good, too. I envy your piecing--it looks perfect. Good luck with the deck! Home improvements can be just a nightmare, but it looks like yours is going great!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Such a beautiful job on the quilting, Lane! That Christmas quilt looks like you could really have some fun with it. Enjoy!!

Daryl said...

Thanks for sharing! Love your quilting!