2/2/18

Progress

I'm still playing with hexagons.  I haven't made much progress on anything except the baby quilt and there's nothing significant enough on it to show a picture.  My mornings have been spent hand sewing that Dresden plate to the background.  The first set of pieced borders is assembled and ironed....ya, ya, okay, I've made more progress than it feels like.  That's the thing with slow and steady.  It doesn't feel like much is happening, and then all of a sudden it all comes together and you're done.

I feel like I'm standing still compared to Michelle!  She's finished blocks 6 and 7 of the Lotus quilt and is starting to think about borders.  I'm so enjoying watching her progress and hope you are too.  Look at all those narrow stems!  Michelle, I appreciate your willingness to share your progress with me!



Michelle is the one that shared the hexies with me and got me started playing with them.  I've just been basting so far.   I plan to take the basted hexies on a business trip next week to give me something to do in the hotel.  I thought that would be a lot more fun than basting.  I wanted to lay them out to try to estimate how many I'll need.  I'm not working from a pattern, just making it up as I go.  I'm thinking two more flowers and a few more leaves will do it.  I'm a little iffy about that dark blue one near the bottom of the picture.  It will need to be surrounded by light colored leaves if it stays.  Once I get some flowers assembled, I can play with it more.  It takes a lot of effort to move a flower in seven pieces, but once they're assembled and I can pick them up and move them around, I'll start to commit to a layout. 


I bought a book.  I follow Wendy's blog and she's been talking about her new book.  I haven't had a chance to start reading yet, but the pictures have me drawn in and I can hardly wait for a few minutes to sit and read. 


I have a class this weekend with Sally Terry and I haven't even started pulling things together yet.  I did make sure I own everything I'll need.  But, it's still scattered all over.   I have to make a practice piece and decide on a machine and find my extension table.  They want us to bring a couple of tops to use in discussion and I'm trying to pick something from the UFO pile.  She asked us to bring our feather templates to class.  But, I don't own any feather templates.  All mine are free form, so I'm not sure how that's going to work out.  I wonder if she'll be okay with me drawing three lines and feathering between them like I normally do.  Can I call that a template?  Prolly not.

While I was poking around, I found two Christmas quilts and a Christmas kit.  I think I might need a Christmas quilt intervention!  Please stop me from making more.  I clearly need help!

That's it for me today.  I have to take the car to the shop so I need to get out of here early.  But, there's still a few minutes to sew...mwahaha!

Have a great Friday!!  Lane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the vibrant colors of your hexies. That's going to be a beautiful quilt. Mary

Anonymous said...

I do believe I can hear you talk about all these quilts. You have come a long way from a 9 patch. Which is what Nany and Mom did.
Love the two squares you posted, don't change anything, maybe add more if you think its needed. lum

Mary said...

Those hexies are gorgeous, almost makes me run down and cut some. Then I remember the ten thousand projects I have on the go and stop myself