11/30/20

One down, two to go


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, even if it was a little weird.  I know lots of people are used to a big holiday with friends and family and many sacrificed that to help prevent the spread of Covid.  We all appreciate that sacrifice.  We've spent so much time with Syd and her boyfriend lately that it didn't seem inappropriate to spend Thursday with them, but we did make sure that we kept apart and didn't get right up on them during the day.  

We had our usual feast, tho I forgot to take any pictures.  I was busy cooking and getting everything on the table at the same time.  I enjoyed watching Syd navigate her beau through the ins and outs of dinner with the Dads.  Everything is antique, so be careful, but don't be so careful that you can't have a good time.  The only picture I got was this one, after lunch, when I was hoping Santa would send some elves to take care of the dishes.  When we had eaten all the turkey leftovers we could possibly eat, I turned the last of the turkey into a casserole that we started on last night.  The name of the casserole?  Gobbler Cobbler!


I had a few days off and I guess the whole Thanksgiving meal wasn't enough of a challenge, so I made pickles on Tuesday.  Yeah, I'm weird like that.  


I also made the rest of the leaf blocks.  We were so busy yesterday getting ready for the work week ahead that I didn't get a picture of all 51, but here is the picture I took at 33.  It's going to be a lovely quilt.  After this picture was taken, I decided not to make any more green blocks.  It is a falling leaves pattern after all.  


And, as I was working the dishes, Rob started decorating for the holidays.  I only have a couple of pictures now, but here's the tree with a couple favorite ornaments.  That tree has everything and the kitchen sink.


I told Rob early that I was too tired after all the cooking and cleaning to put up the swag this weekend, but he gave me plenty of down time to rest and relax, and by yesterday, I felt up to hanging the swag.  It really does add something special to the holiday for him and after all the disappointments of 2020, it was not the time to break any traditions.  


I also registered for a hand appliqué class with Becky Goldsmith that the guild is hosting.  I'm looking forward to that.  I've read her books and my stitch is pretty close to invisible, but it will be nice to see her do it and improve my skills.  I can always do better, right?  

Everybody have a great week!  It's cold here today and we're expecting our first freeze tonight.  I turned off the news last week and didn't get the early warning about the freeze until last night, so I am unprepared.  I guess I know how I'll be spending my lunch hour today.   

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.....lots going on. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

I see you have antique Franciscan dishes too!!! I have the pink Desert Rose ones for special occasions. Your house looks very festive so good for you to be hunkered down with some beauty of the season. Kathy

ceblakeney said...

Really liking the leaf blocks! I have accumulated a boatload of fall themed fabrics and continue to accumulate fall themed projects. The December holidays at my house focus on Solstice- only 3 more weeks until the days begin to lengthen. Can't wait to welcome the return of the light. Which, fingers crossed, 2021 will embrace and support.

Dot said...

I looked back at your first falling leaves quilt. Then I realized how much more nuanced this one is with all those gorgeous batiks dancing across the blocks.

Sydney really was watching as she grew up - be careful of the antique dishes but not so careful that you cant's enjoy yourself. This point of view is so appealing.

I would never have chosen gray paint for the walls, but it sure does showcase all your colorful quilts and decorations. Your Christmas quilts look so joyful with the Christmas swags.

Daniel Wachenheim said...

The leaf block pattern is gorgeous.