3/1/21

It's a Good Thing I can sew

 The falling leaves quilt is laundered and ready to ship to Rob's niece.  I love it.  He loves it.  We're pretty sure she'll love it.  I love what happens to a quilt with a cotton batting when it gets washed and dried.  


A quilt, fresh out of the drier, just makes you want to lie under it and sleep, so when I pulled it out, I laid it over Rob.  It didn't stay there but a minute, but he immediately turned his head and started fake snoring to prove the point.  I think there is a dog and maybe a cat on his lap under it and that wasn't going to last long.  (wish I'd turned it the right way for a photo.)



I love the way they crinkle up and really show off the quilting.  When we took pics before the laundry, we turned on all the lights.  But, when we took pics after, we only turned on a couple lights so they'd cast shadows and make all those echoes of quilting show off.  I like the back of this one too.  I ordered it through the mail, not quite sure of what I'd be getting.  But I bought from a reputable source and it was high quality and was perfect for this quilt.  


TV time is knitting time, so after the dishes are done, I work on the red sweater.  This is the third time I've started this sleeve.  Each time, I'd get somewhere around row 31 and realize I could do better and take it apart, using what I'd figured out to benefit the whole sleeve.  Just these few inches, 10 maybe, is almost a hundred yards of thread.  Hopefully, I won't have to start the second sleeve more than once. Hopefully.


But, I kinda doubt it.  

And, in the mornings, I worked on the Canterbury bells Flower Garden quilt.  


That makes 7.  For a quilt I didn't have time to work on, I sure seem to be making good progress.   The next block up is the rose.  Only about 24 pieces, but it's all going to be about the colors.  The photo quilt block is red and pink, but I'm thinking of maybe a yellow rose.  


It's a good thing I can sew flowers because the Natural Gardener said I shouldn't expect to see very many and they're recommending we set out sugar water to feed the bees this year.  I spent several hours in the yard, cutting back the death so the new life could poke through.  It was a long task and I filled two trashcans.  Luckily my citrus trees are about to bloom and they were in the garage, so that will be some early flower, but the other things that would normally be blooming are just putting out leaves.  But, they are putting out leaves, so I just need to be a patient gardener this year.  


There's never been so little green out there.  


Oh, well.  I'm nothing if not patient...sort of.  And, this will give me a chance to try some new things, right?  Soon, the garden centers will get their new plants and we'll start the whole thing over.  

Everybody have a great Monday!  The start of a new week, and a new month.  Make a flower or plant a flower or enjoy a flower.  Bring on spring!!   Let's put this whole bleak winter thing behind us.  During the storm, Rob and I started watching Game of Thrones.  Those people always look so cold that they made us feel warmer.  

Lane


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob looks so comfortable. What happened to your snow? Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

I’m so glad you included the photo with the quilt on Rob because it helped me understand the scale so much better! If you’d said it is 75” by 60”, I would know what that means. But to see it on a person is even better! I’ve noticed that I like my quilt photos that my kids insist on being in. I’ll take a photo with one kid next to/on/under the quilt just to satisfy the kid, and I’ll also take photos of just the quilt. I fully intend to delete the one with the kid in it. But then, that always turns out to be a great photo that gives a sense of scale (not just size!) of the blocks and helps me interpret the colors too because I’ve got that kid to judge it against! Anyway, I’m glad you had a “Rob plus quilt” photo for us today!

Dot said...

What an interesting reason to watch Game of Thrones. :)

Your falling leaves quilt is lovely. And, yes, the backing you chose is just right. It is such a pleasure when the whole thing comes together, as your quilts seem to do. It's all your planning bearing fruit.

Related to quilting, the applique needles and needle threader you suggested have made my life so much easier. I'd not used applique needles before - the eyes were too small to thread comfortably. But those slender needles slip through fabric like butter. And the needle threader makes it possible. Thank you so much.

Your sweater is going to be luscious - beautiful color and terrific cables.

Daniel Wachenheim said...

The leaf quilt is a work of art. Such talent.

The first time I washed and dried a quilt I made using cotton batting, I couldn't believe how much I liked the quilted effect. I thought, I made that? That effect is something that keeps me trying.

Congrats on your beautiful art!