10/25/21

Everything in its place

Last week flew by in a blur of busy-ness.  Things were crazy busy at work and Syd came for dinner Friday night, and we had shrimp scampi for dinner one night and that's about all I remember.  Saturday, we helped the first time home buyers across the street take out an overgrown shrub (~12' tall) that had died in last winter's ice storm and Sunday, I spent a very cloudy morning putting things away.  

I finished another corner of the arc quilt.  I laid it out so I could get a better feel for how it was going to look.  It's working for me.  I noticed that all the echo work gives it a little bit of an unintended Art Deco feel.  Sometimes things work out that way.  All art is derivative, even if I don't realize it when I'm doing it.  It's still inspired by something else.  When I finish these large black sections, I have to quilt every seam allowance in that tiny spiked border.  That's going to be tedious!  

Saturday afternoon, we were so tired that I just sat and hand quilted while we watched vintage horror movies.  It was nice to meet the neighbors.  Our next door neighbor was there with us, cutting and stacking and he reminded us that when we met them, we helped them unload their moving van and now, we're helping a neighbor take out a tree.  Not to brag, but as I buff my nails along my coat lapel and puff up my chest, that's who we are.  Anyway, I got a lot done on this little quilt too and like the arc quilt, am getting ready for the border.  Quilting a border always feels different than quilting the rest of the quilt to me.  I like to quilt the border a little different, but it has to be cohesive and that's sometimes challenging.  


 What I did in the studio yesterday was more than just straightening up or clearing the floor so I can walk through, it was putting things back in their places.  I had hand quilting tools all over the room and appliqué fabric strewn everywhere and a couple of quilts and some other sewing on my sewing surface and I could only use about a foot square space of my cutting board.  I rearranged drawers, put away thread and rulers and pens and found my green chalk pencil that's been missing about six months.  I sorted the tools and packed them away in their groups; knitting, hand sewing, machine sewing, applique and I made sure I had a pair of scissors and a tape measure in all the places I generally sit and work.  You can't tell it from this picture, but all is right with the world.  My studio will always be crowded with the things I love, but it has to be clear enough that I can find the things I love.

Anybody want to guess what my favorite color is?


Rob put halloween lights across the front of the house.  That will set a nice stage next Sunday.  We're going to put a table out and put our treat bags on it like we saw other neighbors do last year.  That way no one has to get close to one another and we can still do trick or treat.  I miss Sydney being here to greet the tricksters and give them treats.


 That's it for me today.  Short and sweet post.  I let it slip that I could do something at work and now my new boss has me doing it all the time.  He still writes after 5 asking me to do things, but I've learned to answer that 'I'll take care of that first thing in the morning!'   I've never had a boss that asked me to be on call in the evening.  I'm not caring for it.  But, I think I am managing it pretty well.  No need to be upset or angry.  And, no need to give up my evenings.  

Everybody have a. great week!  I heard from several of you that are reorganizing.  Enjoy it.  If you're like me, organization is fleeting "madness takes its toll...Let's do the time warp, again!  It's just a jump to the left.  And, then a step to the right.  Put your hands on your hips.  And, bring your knees in tight...."

Lane

 

4 comments:

birdmommy said...

That idea that you're available 24/7 has been the only downside of working from home for me. Just because you're not forcing me to drive into the office at some stupid hour doesn't mean I'm in a state of suspended animation waiting to hear from you...

Anonymous said...

Great post……thanks for sharing. Now I have that song stuck in my head . Mary

Anonymous said...

What a nice picture of the lights in front of your house.
The color green is growing on me more and more with things that I make. It never was one I preferred to use but I see so many variations in my green stash that I am liking it.
Glad you aren’t letting your boss run your life on their schedule and not yours. And they wonder why they can’t keep workers when a boss does things like that which are uncalled for it their expectations.
I loved your sentence about all your studio treasures - we do love looking at what makes us happy. Kathy

Dot said...

To my eye, your arc quilt dances - the flamenco I think. Then there's your Christmas quilt, an unanticipated favorite. It's like having two children. You love them both but differently. Because, of course, each child/quilt is unique.