8/8/22

In a sewing mood

I've been sewing more.  I enjoy creating.  Quilting, garments, upholstery, draperies, and bedspreads, I've made them all, some more successfully than others.  This weekend, I worked on Syd's shirt and got it to the same point my shirt is; buttons and buttonholes.  I had to order buttons for her shirt.  I tried my button collection and JoAnns and finally had to order them from Amazon.  Finally someone got the hint and they're selling buttons in packages smaller than 475...just kidding, but really, I don't need need 60 identical buttons and was able to get them in groups of 10.  I also ordered the adjustable strap buckle to finish the apron and enough duck to make a bedspread, bedskirt, and shams.  We found the fabric in JoAnn's, but they didn't have enough, so I ordered it.  It was my first time ordering from them and it was easy and the shipping was free.  And, it's a good thing, the store was empty.  I don't know if they're planning to close that store or what, but they didn't have anything on my list that day.

Here's Syd's shirt.  I like how it came out.  The only awkward spot is the shoulders where the upside down birds touch the right side up birds.  Nothing could be done about that.  I ordered a dull navy blue button that I think will be perfect.  

My shirt is at a stop because I don't like the buttons I picked for it, but I didn't order any more, so I guess I'm not that upset about them, just distracted.  

Gardening is all about watering now.  Weds and Sat, I can use a sprinkler, Thur and Sun, it's a hand held hose, watering the pots.  There are a few flowers, but they're the end of several bloom cycles, so nothing to look at.  When I walk around, I'm looking for new growth and survival, or wilt and a need for extra care.  Even though there's shade cloth in the greenhouse, all the plants are on the floor where there's the most shade.  It's brutal out there.  Right now, I'm holding my own, but I've lost a couple of old fave plants because it's gotten too hot, no matter how much water I give them.  I shudder to think of the water bill.

Here's another TX red star hibiscus.  This year's flowers have been from a seedling that I grew.  The parent plant didn't bloom this year.  It got stepped on when we stained the fences and while it didn't kill it, it stunted it for this year.  That's okay, there's always next year.  These come back from the ground every year.


This lantana is from a neighbor's yard, but it was so striking with all the red flowers that I took a picture to share.  The neighbors won't mind.

Last week, I wrote an email asking the company's business leaders to select my eventual replacement so I can start training them.  My goal is to train them, pass my major responsibilities to them, and then focus on training other people on what I do until I retire.  And, take it easier for heaven's sake.  I complained to my boss that I was too busy and he has responded.  This is my way of helping with that.  Let someone else do half of it and let them start building their brand.  Anyway, after I wrote it, I sat down and cried a little.  This is the first step to passing off my job, and while it feels a little sad, I am not regretting it.  My entire work life, I've looked forward to retirement.  And, since it looks like I might be part of the last generation that gets to retire, I'm gonna look forward to it, even if I have to bag groceries for benefits for a few years.  

Everybody have a good week!  Find something you love to do and do the hell out of it!!  I'm thinking about putting that on a t-shirt, but I can't remember where I got it from.  I do not have time for a copyright infringement lawsuit this week.  

Lane


5 comments:

Dot said...

Congratulations for your planned retirement. I am a little wistful about losing your shared work experiences. You shared an entirely new viewpoint and it has been fascinating.

It does feel good to be able to have more choice of your own path.

Lantana's are amazing. This spring I was drawn to pots of mystery orange flowers and got some. When they were steeply discounted, I got more because by then I had found how drought tolerant they are, in addition to their good looks. Next year, I'll be tracking them down, early.

Sydney's shirt looks as crisp and professionally made as yours. No need to ask what you'll be doing in retirement. You'll continue to be interested in a variety of things - and do all of them well.

You are a great role model. Thank you.

Elle said...

Planning for retirement is indeed bittersweet. Kudos to you for succession planning! Syd's shirt is a lovely print. Do you know the trick for button placement on women's shirts? Since gaping at the bust is such an issue, it's best to place an initial button at the fullest part of the bust, and then work the rest of the button placement up and down from there.

Anonymous said...

Oh Lane! I can just imagine the stories you would tell if you bagged groceries. It would be a hoot! Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

Congratulations on your retirement planning! Good on you.

And please consider moving here to Massachusetts! I mean, the nickname Tax-achusetts is no joke, but I'm so happy that we moved here (from across the country) five years ago. Healthcare is top-notch, as is education (I have school-age kids). Great cultural activities, such as museums. And close to Cape Cod and New York City, two of our favorite places. Have you been to Provincetown, MA? It’s always a fun time!

viridian said...

I don't know when you plan to retire - how long do you lan to help your replacement?
I have about 4 more years.
I hope you keep blogging after retirement.