6/19/23

Working with Dad

It was quite the busy weekend here.  On Saturday, Rob took the other half of the roof off the greenhouse.  We had already talked about not trying to do it all in one day, so left it off Saturday night and put the new one on Sunday morning.  Thankfully it didn't rain.  Now all the hard part is done.  Next weekend, I'll paint the floor and then we can start building the shelving that's going inside.  And, then I can move plants back in and clear some of them off the deck.  I'll be very glad to get that done.  Sunday was Fathers day and despite feeling bad about him having to work on a special day, we worked very had and got the new roof on.  

I was the hander.  In one hand, I had the hammer and nails and in the other hand, I had the drill and screws, and whatever he needed, I handed him.  It would have been easy, but then he'd need something that wasn't either of those tools and I'd have to go get it and then he'd ask for the hammer or the drill and I'd have to go get it.  And, he'd stand there waiting.  It was so much like working with my Dad that I almost cried.  Thank God he didn't have me holding the flashlight.  I would have ended up balled up in a corner if he had.

This is the view from inside.  The gray roof makes a significant difference in the amount of sunshine  and the amount of heat that builds up in there.  The building is 12ft long and running along both sides, there will be a 6ft shelving unit.  At the back, I'll have space for soil and pots and tools.  But, the shelving units will be free standing in case they need to be moved to a shadier or sunnier spot.  In winter, there should be room for everything except the fruit trees in here.  

Yesterday, I celebrated Rob.  He's a great Dad.  Even though all this with Syd has been a pain in the rear, he's stepped up to every bit of it, putting his stuff on hold so he can help her consolidate her stuff and move and get settled.  I made a roast for dinner and frosted a carrot cake I had in the freezer and we exchanged cards.  He's not going to be here this week for our anniversary, so he gave me my card early.  Inside was a slip of paper that said "Time for another adventure" and inside were tickets to see JINKX MONSOON!  It's always monsoon season!  If you're not familiar, Jinkx is a famous drag queen.  We've followed her since she won Rupaul's Drag Race.  She's talented as a singer and comedian and she just wrapped up a Broadway musical.  She set her mind to do that and she made it happen and I am one of her biggest and most devoted fans.  And, we're going to get to see her live, on stage, in late July.  I nearly wet myself.  

Only a few flower pics this week.  The daylilies are winding down, but I was able to get a couple of nice pics as their last blooms opened.  



The Texas Red Star Hibiscus bloomed this week.  There are a couple plants in this grouping that are planted on too much of a slope and I'm having trouble getting them watered.  I'm going to have to work on that.  Should be way enough to solve with some soil and a few chunks of pottery that I can use as a dam.  


And, this little orange mini-rose that was in too much sun and nearly lost all its leaves.  If it ain't happy, then dig it up and move it.  


I put in this little flowerbed on Saturday.  It only had plants that needed full sun in it before, even though it's in almost full shade.  I brought in some things that should really like the location and in a year or two, this should be a really nice little bed with flowers for most of the season.  It's the wrong time to be putting things in the ground here because of the heat, but I think it should work in this shady spot.  Fingers crossed.  


Life with Syd continues to be a roller coaster of life lessons, big victories, and little disappointments.  She's learning to fit into a professional environment with co-workers that aren't on a revolving in and out, people she has to see every day and she's seeing how what she says and does one day affects what happens the next.  And, she's having to deal with the public in a different way.  She's getting the full taste of having a "day job" and I am here to watch.  Life is teaching her the lessons she wouldn't learn from us.  

I don't know if the repube shitshow is the same for everyone.  I'm feeling like LGBTQ+ people are being singled out for persecution to cover the crimes of the party's leadership.  I sure hope these people get their just desserts here on earth, where we can watch.  


If you wonder what that feels like, this is it.  




I'm reminded of something from Amanda Gorman.  

There is always light, if only we're brave enough to see it.  If only we're brave enough to be it.

But, we can't just be the light.  We have to shine the light on things that are wrong and people that are wrong.  I'm tired of being civilized in the face of a lack of civility.  

Everybody have a great day.  Find something you love to do and try to find a couple minutes to enjoy it.  Be kind to one another.  

Lane


4 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great post !!! Where will you see the drag show???

I thought for a while it was LGBTQ people who were being picked on... but it's also WOMEN, and then it's also LATINOs and BLACKS.,,..

so , it's everyone EXCEPT WHITE HETEROSEXUAL, CONSERVATIVE MEN...........

AND SUDDENLY IT ALL MAKES SENSE, DOESN'T IT ???

ok, enough of that - happy father's day to you both. love your posts.


Anonymous said...

Happy Fathers Day! Jinkx is a great entertainer….enjoy! Thanks for sharing. Mary

Lyndle said...

It is truly scary. I did not think we’d be here in 2023. Much love to you both through this time.still lots of good peple out there but the rhetoric takes a big toll.

cbott said...

"Drag Becomes Him" on FreeVee. Probably old news to you, but very interesting to those of us who only knew Jinkx as "Little Edie"!

Carolyn