8/21/23

Watering

With the water restrictions, I ended up spending a little time every morning watering with a hand held hose.  It worked, and I'm hoping it keeps working.  A couple things are even blooming, including this daylily that's giving a second bloom. I didn't realize that you have to live in an area that gets hot enough for a second bloom, I just took them for granted until someone explained that.  Sorry for the bad pic, but the sun is so bright that it's hard to get a picture.  The flowers aren't as vibrant as they were in spring and by end of day, they're faced to a pale orange, but I get to enjoy them in the morning.  


This is what they looked like in the spring.  


I put out that new birdbath and have been patiently waiting for the birds to come back.  This is not what I had in mind.  It sat there for several minutes looking around.  I wasn't sure if I should scare it off or just sit at the window and enjoy the majesty of this magnificent bird.  


The regular birds have started to come back too, and they're trying to see how often they can empty the feeders.  

I need to make a baby quilt for a co-worker.  I was wearing a brightly colored plaid shirt when she told me she was pregnant and when I asked what color she preferred, she said the colors in your shirt.  I found this picture of a quilt on Etsy that is in the colors of that shirt...but I 'm not sure about it.  That feels like a lot for a baby quilt.  But, I guess it wouldn't show stains.  We'll see.  I'm still looking at pictures for inspiration.   


Yesterday, I decided to make tomato jam.  I'd never done it before.  Other than the fact that it took most of the afternoon and ended up with such a small batch, it was wonderful!  I had a couple spoonfuls more than would fill the jars and we had it last night with crackers and cream cheese...it is to swoon over!


Sydney kept asking 'why not just buy ketchup' and after I tasted it, I have an answer to that.  

Last week was a crazy week at work.  The stress settled into my lower back and I've struggled with a backache all weekend.  Today, it's better, just in time for another week crazy week at work.  But, there's not so much planned for this week, so hopefully, it will go smoother.  

I found a couple political things to share.  


This one may become my new mantra.


Everybody have a great week!  Stay out of trouble, unless trouble is what you enjoy...then 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war'...or create all the trouble your pocketbook can afford.

Lane





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of tomato jam. Thanks for sharing. Mary

birdmommy said...

A 'Postcards From Sweden' style quilt is great for a baby, IMO. Bright and cheerful, which can lure a baby in doing more tummy time (which every baby seems to hate), and hides a multitude of stains. Kaffe Fasset jellyrolls are my go-to for low effort quilts that will get hard/messy use.

Terri in BC said...

That would make a fabulous baby quilt. it sure bucks the trend of "beige babies". Love the political statements, too bad more wouldn't buck that trend as well.