9/11/23

Repairman

We took the new Bernina to the dealer.  Seven week wait...somebody's got to get their kids interested in small appliance repair, specifically sewing machines or there aren't going to be any repair options left.  At this point, they could charge whatever they want.  Anyway, we found out you can make an appt for repair in 7 weeks and then bring the machine back when it gets closer to your time.  I also ordered the capacitors from out of the country and am going to see if this is work I think I can do.  If not, any repairman can do it, they just can't get the Bernina parts, so maybe if I take the parts with me, I can find someone to do it for me.  

Saturday morning, I was walking and stumbled up on a garage sale.  They were still putting stuff out, but I saw this and wandered in and had a chat and offered them a few bucks for the mixer, thinking they'd bargain up the price, but I was wrong and they set it aside til I could come back with cash.  I brought it home and gave it a try and it made an awful noise.  The gears just ground together, so I ordered grease and yesterday, I greased the transmission.  I couldn't get into the planetary gear (the one that makes the beater turn while the beater mount also turns).  I gave it another try and it still makes the noise.  I'm going to have to get grease down in that gear.  


The jury is still out on whether this was a wise purchase.  It only came with the paddle attachment and it's chipped.  I've decided to wait and see if I can get it working more quietly before I spend money on attachments.  It's 475 watts and a 6qt bowl, so if I can get it up to snuff, it's going to have been a steal.  

I'm slowly getting moved back into the greenhouse.  I spent all the time I could out there both days, and got more unpacked...and washed.  Because why bring my dirty stuff into my nice clean spot.  There's still a couple things to do, like order pegboard for my tools to hang on and finish bringing in the plants, but we'll get there.  Now that this is done, I was able to take apart the shelving unit that was on the deck holding plants and move it into the garage, which meant I could get a start on my garage reorg project.  I spent most of yesterday afternoon working on that.  



There are a few things still blooming in the garden and the plants are starting to recover from the heat and are putting up new growth to replace what's been ravaged by the sun.   This thryallis might not look like much, but it's having its best year yet.  It's been in three spots and it survived, but barely.  Last winter, I moved it again and chose a good spot and it's been growing and recovering and is giving me a good bloom.  


The Rockroses are starting to bloom.  These bold pink flowers love the hot sun and dry soil and are popping up here and there.  They're not a bush plant, but rather send out long runners that lie on the ground, then curve up and make a flower.  Because of that habit, they can pop up anywhere.  


Still thinking about the baby quilt.  Can't decide on a pattern.  Postcards from Sweden is a very nice quilt, but I didn't stop looking and have found a couple others I'm interested in.  We will see.  

The beagle is doing well.  When we see her in her harness, we can tell she's lost weight, but she's still perky and happy and dances and sings.  She doesn't know she's sick, just that there's a steady stream of treats and she's here for it!


Everybody have a great week.  Even organization and cleaning can be fun if you're in it for the right reasons.  Just tuck in and tackle it a little at a time til it's all done.  Then realize it's never all done.  

Lane

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7 weeks! Wow that’s crazy
Your doggie looks happy and comfortable.
Good luck with your kitchen aid. If you can fix it and buy a dough hook, your life will change. Maybe your waist size too but who cares. ha!
Thanks for sharing, Mary