7/29/24

Excitement

I'm excited to be working on a quilt.  It's been so long.  I let quilting start to feel like a chore.  Must finish this, must finish that.  And, I'm pretty happy that it's my niece's quilt that I got excited about.  I'm excited to be doing something original again, and hope it turns out okay.  

We went to the fabric store on Saturday for mauve/pink fabrics.  I also needed the background for the appliqué and a quilt back and batting.  The background fabric is white with what looks like pale pink paint strokes across it in one direction.  I was talking about the directionality on the drive home and how I wasn't sure how I'd use that and mentioned that I could cut it into squares and piece it to look like a basket weave.  Rob got so excited that I knew that was the right idea...what's the point of having a design consultant if you don't listen to him?  

I also started making petals.  And realized how many petals there are to make.  When I had the background pieced, I started laying petals on it.  I can't get the camera to pick up how pink the quilt really is.  It seems to bring out the orange and gold.  I showed pics to Rob yesterday, but when he saw it in person, he commented that it was a lot more pink than it looks.  But, you can get an idea of where I'm starting.  I plan to bring the smaller flowers in a little closer to the center, especially the corner one.  And, I haven't started making the leaves that will help me fill in a little.  

I have a couple of daylilies that have decided to bloom.  First, there's this peach one.  This was an "extra" probably pulled out of the ground when I was pulling dead fronds and put in a pot.  I lost track of what it was.  I had several of those and put them in the ground this year and they all bloomed, so now I know what they are and which ones I want to keep and which I want to let go.  

And, this one.  This is such a surprise.  This is not the time of year we get daylilies.  I'm thinking it must have something to do with all the rain we've been getting.  We've had an unexpected amount of rain this year, almost like when I started gardening.  It's meant we haven't had to water, and that's been a VERY good thing.  


My sentinel standing guard at the window.  She wants to bark threateningly at everyone that goes by, but she's learning that's not appreciated, so she'll let out a little yip, then look at me to see if it's okay to be a threat...all 12 pounds of her.  She has come through her spay very well.  We started taking her on short walks over the weekend.  It's a little earlier than her discharge instructions said, but she's a bundle of energy and walking her is about the only way to burn that off.  If we don't, she gets into trouble...like stealing my glasses and chewing up the arms.  She's the Dottie.


So, politics, huh?  Lots of change there.  Kamala wouldn't have been my first choice.  I don't think she's serious enough.  What I didn't consider was how that might throw trump off his game.  I like what she's saying, tho.  "...to see what can be, unburdened by what has been."  And, if she can unite the party, I'm all for it.  I am learning to say her name this time.  Kamala (Comma-la).  I hear her step daughters call her Mamala.  And, maybe a Mamala is what our country needs.  Someone to bring in some humor and some light, to hug our country until it feels better, and to put bandaids on our wounds and tell us to "stop fighting with your friends."  If she could heal that rift, that would be better than trying to balance the budget, in my opinion.  

I am liking the excitement I'm seeing, but not losing track of the fact this is a long and painful road where nasty people will say nasty things.  And, we're going to have to endure.  This is the way.

Everybody have a great week!  Do something you enjoy.  Find some excitement in every day.  

Lane

4 comments:

cbott said...

Enduring, yes. I see a little Kamala-shaped flicker of hope at the far end of this Slough of Despond.

Carolyn in Pflugerville

Anonymous said...

I'm from Ohio and definitely not a Vance fan. I'm hoping that with all his sarcastic comments will help defeat trump and him in Nov. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Oh La la…lots of perfect petals. The flowers are a pretty color. Dottie is doing her job protecting her home. Thanks for sharing, Mary

Anonymous said...

I'm going to do something I enjoy, I'm going to vote for Kamala. and against trumpf.With a woman in the White House there will be a little less mysogyny.