8/21/14

Days out

For me, it’s a hard time of year.  My allergies are at their worst.  And, it’s freakin hot.  Sooooo hot.  In fact, I probably don’t need to tell you how hot because it’s going to be as hot today in Minnesota as it is in Texas.  And, it’s hot.

Plus, the kid is ready to go back to school and I’m really tired of hauling myself out of this house every day, into the heat to work, and hearing her talk about how she’s exhausted from being so bored. 

And, I’m feeling the pressure of entering quilts in the show next month.  So much so that at least once every other day, I say I’m just going to pull them all.  I don’t care.  But, I know I do.  And, I know I won’t.  And, I just keep plugging away at my entries, bored, sewing on sleeves by hand.  One after the other. 

I have jury duty on Monday.  They sent me a questionnaire to fill out and one of the things was days I wasn’t available.  I put Tuesday as a day I wasn’t available because I have some minor oral surgery scheduled.  This week, I got back my acceptance and it says I need to be available both Monday and Tuesday.  WTH…what did you ask me about unavailable days for then?  So now I have to call some bored bureaucrat, who listens to people try to get out of jury duty all day, every day, (which I’m not trying to do) and get them to help me reschedule mine.  I plan to call as soon as they open, when they’re at their freshest.  And, I’ve got my big happy “can you help me, please” smile on.

And, the news.  OMG, I can’t even hardly watch the news.  It’s like the world has gone crazy around me and all I can do is try to get through every day, hoping the news will get better tomorrow.  And, I watch for those human interest stories that show good things happening (You go, Mo’Ne…throw like a girl and show those boys how it’s done!) and I grab onto those and let them bring tears to my eyes and warmth to my heart…at least until the next story about people killing one another because of s#!* that don’t matter. 

And, from the time I wake (at 3am, damnit!) until the time I fall back into bed, I feel like a spring, wound just a little bit too tight.  And, not able to do anything about it but hold on and not pop.

It’s hard to keep a positive attitude for me right now, so I haven’t posted in a couple days.  And, it might be a couple days before I’m ready to post again.  Til then, I’m enjoying lots of wonderful quilting posts that you all are writing and I started knitting a new scarf as a distraction…It’s so decadent.  I don’t have time for anything but finishing these quilts…but I’m making time for something I want to do, just because I want to do it. 

HA!  Thumb’s to you, deadlines.

Hope you have found a cool spot and that your days are filled with positivity and quilting.  Tell me about it.  Your story may be just what I need to hear to pull me through these last few one hundred degree days of summer.  And, then the rains will come again and the air will cool and whatever I’m allergic to will stop pollinating and my nose will stop running and my attitude will get better and hopefully, so will the news.

Until then, I’m still sewing. (and knitting…)

Lane

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chin up m'dear, this too shall pass. In the meantime....I've recently gotten into clothing refashioning, astonishing, after years of stubbornly refusing to even hem my own pants. ;) I made a shrug the other day out of one of my husbands old t-shirts, copying some tutorials I've been looking at online. Well, the thing about an old t-shirt is...it looks like an old t-shirt! Faded, pilled, dull...not exactly what I should be wearing to work! But, being stubborn me, I pressed on anyway, adding a layered ribbon trim from my ribbon stash and my 'Rosie the riveter' patch that I had been holding on to. In the end, I wore it over a dress to work and reminded myself of Mimi from The Drew Carey show!!! ha! Lesson learned!

Melissa in Cibolo, Texas

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, weatherwise. When we left San Antonio, I was suffering from heat exhaustion. Will never go back. But now 80 degrees is way too hot for me. Be patient with Sydney. Some day she will be all grownup and you will miss having her around.

lw said...

It's hot here, too, and muggy. And lots more cicadas than last year, so it's loud, too.

Maybe this is old age talking, but being bored and/or taking a nap sound wonderful these days.

That's weird about the jury summons, as if they didn't read your request at all.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the news. I don't watch it, when people talk about it at work, I just tune it out. I have my own life to live and i am tired of the media harping on everything evil and disheartening about the human race. 24 hour news stations are horrible and contribute to the problems.

We have had a cool dry summer in the northeast and the garden is pathetic.

I recently saw a sign that said "If your religion is one that you will kill for , kindly start with yourself." We need PEACE.

Rebecca Grace said...

I love it that Sydney is "exhausted from being so bored." Hah! That sounds like my kids. I'm running around like a crazy person getting school supplies and worrying about meetings with teachers and how the new school will work out, and they are making obnoxious announcements about how they need to start growing their hair "until it looks like Jesus" for their Halloween costumes and how I "should get started making their costumes now, because they need to be more ELABORATE this year." I think I'm going to throw a cocktail party at 9:15 Monday morning, to celebrate the start of school. May the teachers slam these kids with homework assignments, so they can be exhausted from WORK instead of from watching US work! :-)

I know what you mean about the news. I've started dropping the paper into the recycle bin without even reading it. I can only take so much, especially since there's nothing I can do about any of it.

Feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lane (and family) I feel for you. I wilt when it gets hot and I suffer from hay fever. Thankfully, living in Scotland means that I don't have to suffer for long! We have our wood-buring stove on at nights already and the children have all been back at school for a fortnight already. Please tell Sydney to use up the last few precious days of her holidays well, as each year brings big challenges and she will have to work hard very very soon. When are we getting to see the video of your Guild talk?