3/26/18

Does a body good

Good work does a body good.  It was a wonderful weekend, but again, it felt a little short.  That's a good thing.  Remember that old saying about always leaving them wanting more.  Weekends sure know how to do that. 

I started the weekend by starting something new.  I have a friend that's announced her retirement and I decided to send her a little something.  I designed something and decided it was too personal, so I switched tracks to something else we have in common; gardening.  I had a flower block appliqued already and just needed to add some squares around it, but that simple step took over two hours.    I laid out a set of squares and started sewing them together.  And, then I realized they weren't all 3".  Some were 2 7/8" in one or both directions.  So, I ended up measuring all my 3" squares and laying them out and taking a very ordered approach to picking fabrics.  I guess I needed that.  It satisfied some need for order and control.


Anyway, I've started quilting it and should have it to her well before her last day.  Just a li'l something to remember me by.

I also got the baby quilt pin basted so I can start quilting it soon as this is done and bound.  I had hoped to get a Linus quilt basted, but it didn't happen. 

Our big project was sealing the deck.  It was time and we had a few bad weather weekends and even this weekend acted like it wanted to rain, but we waited it out and got it done. 


I spent a lot of hours in the yard and repotting. 

Columbine.  I've had the yellow for years, and this year, bought the red and white and planted it nearby, in hopes that it will be as happy.




Violets and Ajuga.  I use them as ground covers and indicators of when the garden needs water.  They're very tolerant and will wilt, but then perk right back up when they get what they want. 


Weed.  I'm sure it has a real name, but I don't know it.  It makes a pretty flower, so I don't pull it.  And, it won't stand the heat, so it can't choke anything out.  I have a couple of weeds I let grow because of those qualities.



This winter's oranges in bloom.  Bees galore.  No pollinating with a q-tip.  Yay!


These pots will make bright spots in a shady place in the yard.

 

Okay, so that's it for me today.  A little quilting.  A little gardening.  And, I even made a peach cobbler.  So, it was a pretty good weekend overall.  Hope yours was as well.  Another workweek begins today.  I wonder what human thing I'll do this week.

Everybody have a good one.  I'm going to go cut a border. 

Lane

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks fo sharing your happy gardening days! I have just pent a few hours giving the greenhouse its spring clean. Now I'm tired! I think the yellow weed is call Tussilago. We have it and it comes for a few short weeks in early spring an seems to fade completely away! The miners in Lanarkshire in Scotland called it 'dish-a-logie' ( a corruption of its latin name, I think!) Margaret (in Scotland)

Dot said...

You know, that's one of the nice things about your blog. You are human and share some of the highs and lows. Makes me feel better about being all too human, myself.

Your blog remains the best way to start the day.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lane! I have given you the wrong information! The plant is actually called celandine. I have just looked it up in the Royal (can't be bothered with that part) Horticulltural Society website.
My mistake. Please forgive me.
Margaret (feeling a bit humble in Scotland)

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been very busy, as was Rob. The deck is great and I love the TEXAS sign on the wall. Both of you have such talent. Love the quilt you are making for your friend. I'm sure she will remember you always. The pot plants are a wonderful idea. Wish I had a bite of the peach cobbler. lum

Anonymous said...

The retirement gift is delightful. I bet she'll be thrilled to receive it. You have a nice big deck. I hope you spend some hot summer nights out there, wishing on the stars. Thanks for sharing . Mary

Unknown said...

You made another human being smile today. Thanks

Carla said...

Nice deck. I know that took some work. So the red and white flower is a columbine too?. that's pretty.
Your friend will be happy with what ever you make simply because you took the time to make it. The block is looking sweet.