9/21/18

My job is getting in the way of my quilting...not cool!

Well, it's four days and 7 hours until quilts have to be turned in for the Austin Area Quilt Guild show next week.  If you're close enough, it's a great show.  This guild has lots of very talented quilters and I can't wait to see what my friends have entered. 

And, this is the least prepared I've ever been.  I know, I know, it's not like I'm still quilting an entry, or sewing down a binding.  I feel for the quilters that are.  But, I'm still not ready.  I still have one quilt to finish, and three to attach, and three name/address/phone number labels to sew on.  And, then I have to whipstitch muslin over my quilt labels so the judges can't see who made them.  Like they'd know me.  And, if they do know me, they'd probably be able to pick my quilts out without labels.

Ya' know?  I bet you're as tired of hearing me talk about labels as I am making them.  In two years, somebody remind me that a label written with a sharpie is good enough.

Work has been crazy.  In addition to my regular stuff, it's time for my boss's annual review and he's got us scrambling to collect all the data he needs to present.  So, that's keeping everyone busy.   At lunch, I'm reviewing patterns.  I've turned in the first one, which was a very long and complex quilt and I think I gave some really good feedback.  Little tips that can be explained in few words that I think will make it easier for a less experienced quilter.  And, yesterday, I started a second one.  Fortunately, it's a simpler quilt with fewer steps.   But, just as much math and measurement.  For this one, I'm going to make two blocks and sew them together so I can check for a bulky seam. 

Oh, yay.  Another thing to do tomorrow.  I'm so lucky that I never have to worry about being bored.

That poem about April showers and May flowers works in August and September too, and the garden is swelling and filling in and a few hot summer bloomers are really going at it.  Here are a couple of the most beautiful flowers.  But, there are other, smaller flowers, hidden in the background, and even if there weren't, I love all the shades of green and different leaf shapes, combined, like a quilt. 



My gardening has developed a lot like my quilting.  My early gardens were mayhem of plants I liked, all mixed together with no plan.  Now, there is structure and variety of leaves is more spread out and colors are mixed better. 

My early quilts were mayhem.  Believe me, I just refolded them all.  I know exactly what they look like compared to my more recent work.  Maybe, next week, in honor of the quilt show, I'll show some of those early quilts.  That might be a fun way to anticipate my current work being judged.  Get a chance to talk about how far I've come. 

Everybody have a great weekend.  I have to buy a good pair of slacks.  I haven't bought a good pair of slacks in so long, I don't even know where to go.  When I woke up this morning, I thought of this one guy that I pass in the hall almost every day.  I always think what a sharp and conservative dresser he is, much like my style.  I think I'm going to ask him where he buys his clothes.  Should I precede that with some football talk, maybe, to make it sound a little less...well, gay?  Men don't talk about clothes.  Not with strangers anyway. 

I guess if he's someone I pass every day and give that man nod of hello, maybe we're not strangers? 

Wish me sharp needles and luck keeping up with my thimble.  I'm going to be doing a lot of hand sewing this weekend.  

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, but very talented. Is that a pink or red maybe
Mexican Petunia? I only have the purple. Both your plants are beautiful. Good luck at the Quilt Show. I am positive you will bring home some ribbons. Please have Rob do his thing and tape it for us who live across the world from you. lum

Anonymous said...

As usual, you made me laugh this morning! Have a great weekend. Can’t wait to see what you get up to. Mary

Dot said...

Thinking about you this weekend, about the amazing variety in your life, and how you'll be working carefully on those labels because that's how you live.

Good luck for finding a pair of good slacks. My daughter and I went shopping yesterday for a good winter coat and boots. No luck this time, but they are out there and we will find them. Just as you will find your good slacks.

mary said...

i accidently found your blog!!! you can put a piece of blue painters tape to cover the label!!from the official person of the check in department at the show!! me....Mary Beard- see you tuesday

Rebecca Grace said...

Your garden is amazing, your quilts are amazing, and I think any pattern designer is lucky to get feedback from you. Also I sent you a funny "fashionable men's slacks" picture separately via email, because I couldn't resist. :-) Have a great week.