12/30/19

The last post of 2019

It's my last blog post of the year.  This morning, I was thinking about what I'd post and I couldn't think of much to say and almost didn't post.  Then, I had a coffee and came up with too many things to say, so here I am. 

I can't think of many big memorable events that happened in 2019.  I was politically enraged most of the year.  That might have gotten a little bit out of hand.  And, I continued to see big progress in getting over my shyness.  We had the house repaired, but I don't really want to think about that too much, and honestly, it was just the first in a chain of things we have to get done.  Next we have to replace our HVAC, and after that the house needs painting, and a stone mason has to come in, but those are things for 2020.  Sydney moved into her own place and seems to be thriving...at least she hasn't asked for money yet.  She's moving in a few weeks.  From the apartment she's in to a house with fewer residents (and fewer pets).  I think that's a good choice and reflects her growing up.  (Three adults and four pets in a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment was never going to work for long.)  All our cats and dogs and most of the fish made it through the year.  And, I got a new job and sort of a fresh start at work, with lots of people getting to know me for the first time and lots of new opportunities.  And, I helped make the quilt guild's raffle quilt.  That was a big undertaking that took a big chunk of the summer.  And, I'm wrapping up the year by making a new jacket pattern and multiple pair of boxer shorts and a paper pieced quilt that was just a tad above my skill level. 

Sometimes, years are about the little things, not about big memorable events.  Home repair, parenting, hobby, changing underwear style...the things that fill the average day, that's what life is mostly made of.  The unmemorable events that make waffle days special (and yes, I got a waffle iron for Christmas and I'm going to have more waffle days in 2020).  So farewell 2019.  2020, it's your turn to impress me.  Let's see what ya' got!

But, for today, I've been obsessin...uhm, diligently working on my new jacket from Vogue 7004. 


I made my muslin, leaving out all the fiddley bits, like topstitching and focused on fit.  I even made a muslin of the welted pocket so I'd know how it went together.  The instructions were...vague.  It turned out to be a very good thing I did the practice run because that didn't work at all like I had it set in my mind.  This is going to become the lining for the jacket...including the blue leaping frog fabric for a bit of whimsey.  Maybe. 


This is after I made some alterations.  It needed more size in the middle, it's too short and the shoulders are too low, but overall a good fit and comfortable in the yoke. 



 And, then I got started on the real thing.  In two days, I've only gotten this far.  It has been a tremendous amount of work and figuring out how to do things.  Like this morning, I lay in bed and figured out a better way to get the lining in, so I got up and took out some sewing to make that happen...two steps forward, one step back.  That's how it's been all along, but that's okay, all I'm wasting is thread.  I get frustrated, but then I remind myself that I'm learning something completely new (and it's not my fault that the polyester fabric won't hold a crease).  Today, I'll put the lining in it and finish off this part of the jacket with some hand sewing.  I hope to get the sleeves made, then tomorrow, I'll only have to insert the sleeves and finish the hem.  Fingers crossed.  But, I've also got to take down the tree and the swag, so this might be the first finish of the new year. 


Everybody have a great New Year!!  Next year, there's going to be lots of boring political stuff.  But, there's going to be lots of good stuff too.  I'm sure of it.  Now, I'm going to go sew.  Hope you get to, too.

Lane

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and your family. “Sew” enjoy your blog. Looking forward to what you get up to in 2020. Thanks for sharing Mary

Dot said...

I'm late to the party. Happy New Year and thank you for another year of thoughtful, encouraging, and inspiring blog posts. Best wishes to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and yours. That jacket is going to look "store bought" when you finish. Lane, you always do such good work, whether its quilting, garment sewing, yard work, etc. Congratulations on your new job! Looking forward to this blog in 2020. lum

Rebecca Grace said...

Happy New Year, Lane! Yes, I agree -- they ought to change the name to Vague Patterns!! I do not understand why the Big Four pattern companies haven't kept up with the technology of the times. Their instructions are so sparse, often telling you to do things in a dorky homemade-looking way rather than the way it would be done for RTW, and too many assumptions that customers already know a lot about garment sewing. I understand why they had to save as much space as possible in years past because only so many pages of instructions can be crammed into a pattern envelope, but why haven't they kept pace with online sew-alongs, expanded instructions with alternative methods for each pattern on their web site, video tutorials explaining things visually for those situations where a photo/video is worth a thousand ill-chosen words... Your jacket is going to be great; the fit is looking really good in the muslin. More garment sewing is something I hope to do in 2020, too -- although shaping fabric to a lumpy, bumpy human body is such an alien concept to someone whose sewing is usually all about making a quilt top that will lay as flat as humanly possible! Happy New Year to you and your family and Happy Sewing!