4/27/20

I'll have mine with a side of Lysol please

What a crazy week it was...

I'm not even sure what all happened.  I know I thought I was going to have all this extra time during lockdown and that I'd be getting lots of extra things done.  But, it's not working out that way for me.  I took Friday off work, to get a break and spent it at the garden center and the grocery store and then I scrubbed all the hard floors in the house.  I mean really down on my hands and knees scrubbing.  It's amazing how relaxing scrubbing a floor can be. 

I also spent some time with a cookbook, trying to come up with fresh ideas.  I don't normally worry about having something original for dinner, but lately, that's about the only time we come together and I need it to be over a good and interesting meal.  As I looked at the cookbook, I added ingredients to the list...then when I got home, I realized I didn't know which recipes I'd noted that I purchased ingredients for.  But, the feel of a real paper cookbook in my hands was wonderful and comforting and I'm sure I'll enjoy flipping through the cookbook to find them again.  Yesterday, we had Goulash.  I haven't made that in so long!  Everyone enjoyed it and it made a nice change from the complex Sunday lunches I'd been making.  And, it let me spend the morning in the garden, getting things done out there while it was cool.  And, it was nice for Rob and Syd to do the dishes.  (Oh, and to the young woman that bagged my groceries, go find a job you're good at.  I nearly came across that check stand when she shoved my asparagus in the bottom of a bag and dropped a can of beans on top of it.  Less talking, more working!) 

I didn't get nearly as much quilting done last week as I should have, but yesterday afternoon, I finished a pair of socks.  I'm loving these.  Of course, the balls of yarn didn't begin at the same place, so I had to ball up a few yards to get to the right starting place on the second sock.  But, they match!!


This was the weekend I took down the portable greenhouse, which had sat empty since early March and I put all the plants I've potted to share in the "plant hospital" area where I normally put plants to recover from whatever injustice I've done to them.  While I don't need any plants, I went to the garden center on Friday.  I was very good and resisted several plants that needed more sun than my garden offers, but I couldn't find anything I really wanted to add, so I bought plant food and enough coleus to put these two pots together.  I keep these pots in a very sheltered and shady place and coleus works perfect there. 


This Cinco de Mayo rose is a gift that keeps on giving, so I'm going to keep on showing.


And, the oakleaf hydrangea blooms are opening more every day.


I've stopped having any expectations of Sydney and that is helping.  When I want her to do something, instead of waiting for her to volunteer, I just ask her to do it and ignore whatever nonsense objection she tosses out.  And, after I walk away, she gets whatever I asked her to do done.  It's working, but I'm still so ready for her to be back at my own house.  She clearly doesn't want to be here and it shows.  And, I can't change that right now.  So, I'm adapting to it. 

Two weeks ago, work was very stressful.  But, when that commercial came on that advertised my insurance company was giving back to customers, I cried a little.  I did part of the work that made that possible in TX and it made me feel like I was part of something bigger than me and I guess I needed a little of that during these uncertain times.  It was a good feeling. 

Saturday night, we had a socially distanced happy hour with the neighbors.  It was fun to sit out in the driveway and watch people go by and wave and speak.  Next time, they're going to plan ahead and invite more neighbors.  It will be nice to be around more people. 

Everybody have a great week!!!!  Like so many others, I'll be working away and not complaining, because I have work when so many others don't.  Be safe and be well. 

Lane

p.s., you thought I was going to make a political comment, didn't you.  But, we all see the TV news.  You know what's going on and you know the huge lies being told and I don't need to really speak to that.  It's obvious.  L

6 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Ugh! Don't get me started on the grocery baggers (who need to find a job they care about.) Don't they realize we go to great care in choosing just the right bag of apples? Bruised apples are NOT tasty!

Anonymous said...

Lane, I think some of the things you are experiencing right now might be universal in this pandemic. I, too, have been searching cookbooks for new, or at least somewhat different recipes. And your comment on grocery store baggers—oh, my pet peeve! The only store that ever bags groceries well around here is Trader Joe’s. Even though I’m retired, I’m amazed at how fast each day goes by. Thanks for your enjoyable weekly posts.

Anonymous said...

Sock stripe match is perfect. Love the flowers.....so refreshing to see. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Unknown said...

Lol about packing groceries. Here in Western Australia in one of the major supermarkets we have to pack our own bags. I've stopped being so picky about what goes where as I always seem to be holding up the queue.

Dot said...

When I was working, at the beginning of time, I always felt better when I got a glimpse of how our daily work was part of the bigger picture - reaching for the next, higher level. I am convinced that you are part of helping your insurance company reach the next higher level.

Do you know, I have never seen a pair of matching variegated socks? Not being a knitter, I always assumed that part of the charm was seeing where the pattern fell. And it was as simple as searching for the matching start point of yarn for each sock. Nice socks.

carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.