6/8/20

Gardening season is ended

In Texas, we have four seasons; cool, freeze, rain, and the fires of hell are upon you.  The first three are very short, the last goes on forever.  It was 100* here yesterday, and it's going to be hotter than that today and tomorrow.  That's too hot to do much more than pull a few weeds and walk around with the hose, trying to water.  We'll have a few more nice days before mid-July, but not enough

I had Friday off and spent the day in the yard with my new saw and took down some limbs that were brushing against the neighbors house and got them all bundled.  On Saturday, I tried to play with some flower pots and moved the last daylily I'll try to move this year.  And, then I came in and started working on a UFO. 

This was supposed to be a calendar.  Each month, I picked up a grouping of fat quarters that I liked together and was supposed to make a block from them.  I dropped the ball on that somewhere around September.  I had the fabrics (who needed an excuse to buy fabric 5 years ago?), but I didn't make the blocks.  That same year, I was asked to make a triple feathered star block for the guild's raffle quilt.  I wasn't sure I could, so I made a tester.  Instead of three columns of four blocks each, I decided to put my calendar blocks around that star.  Some of the blocks are whimsical and some are more serious.  But, they reflect the moods I was in when I bought them and I think that's fun.


I made the two blocks on the left side this weekend.  They take a lot of time and are very "fiddly" but as long as I follow the instructions and don't cut anything until I understand how it's going to be used and where, they go pretty well.  They do take more than a fat quarter of light fabric, so I have to make some substitutions to get them to work.  I've gotten very ingenious about hiding that in the finished blocks.

While it's too hot to work in the yard, it's not too hot to enjoy it.  The phlox are just getting started. 


One of Syd's hibiscus blooming.  Since she left them here twice, do I get to call them mine now?


Pink and orange, co-existing peacefully.  The pink is echinacea and the small orange flowers are nasturtiums and the larger is a daylily named Peaches.  It's really more of a peach color than it looks. 


This is Charlene's patio, making a large statement in front of the house.  We lost a tree last year and these got a lot more sun than they had been, and it shows.


This is my cool, shady spot in the garden.  At least for now.  I can sit here and look at flowers in both directions. 


Yesterday, I was in a baking mood.  I can't find onion bagels in the grocery anymore, and had decided to make some and we needed something sweet to eat (because there's not quite enough of me yet, I guess).  A new bagel recipe made much prettier bagels than the last one did.  They feel light and airy from the outside, but I haven't cut one open to see if that's the case.  I like a kind of dense bagel. 



----------------------------

Racism is  a terrible thing and I'm proud to see the peaceful protests happening all around the world.  I could not be more proud that my daughter is part of it. 

I deleted the rest of this post about racism. It was too angry. I’m too angry. But too much anger turns into being part of the problem. That’s not the part of me I want to send out into the universe

Everybody have a great week. 

Lane





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The garden looks lovely....so does your baking. Thanks for sharing. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Another spectacular quilt in the works, Lane, and I really appreciate getting a glimpse of your gorgeous flowers!!

Terri in BC said...

Your garden is a beautiful as your piecing!

I've been watching the US news reports with varying degrees of disbelief, horror and empathy for all you folks are going through. We have our own issues with racism and police brutality in Canada, which have been called out during this time as well. I fervently hope for your country's sake the big orange Cheeto gets voted out, and some sanity can reign again.

bets said...

♡♡♡

Dot said...

I appreciate your blog more than ever.

Thank you for sharing your quilts, gardening, family, and cooking. They are a welcome taste of normal in an increasingly odd world.

MSNBC (?) shared a poll asking if Americans thought the US was out of control. Nearly two thirds of America thought we were. I agree. It will take so much patience and work to climb back to normal. Perhaps after all the angst and pain, we will come back better. I surely hope we do.