7/13/20

Decisions made


My iPhone died last week.  Well, died might not be the right word.  Everything worked except the phone part, and since "phone" is part of the name, that seems pretty important.  I spent part of last week backing devices up and organizing.  One day, I'm going to figure out how to organize my icons so I can find them.  And, how I keep taking screenshots when I sit my phone down.

Decisions were made about the feathered star quilt.  We have sashing.  We went with the burgundy, to pull color from the triple star out to the edge.  I say "we" because Rob is as much a part of these decisions as I am.  I started thinking brown.  When you want to add a color but you don't want to draw attention to it, use brown.  Don't remember who said that, but I use it all the time.  Anyway, Rob suggested the burgundy.    And, when I laid it out, I knew it ws the right choice.  I've got three pair of border fabrics laid next to it now so I can figure out what comes next.  I have one I really like, but I think I'll let Rob weigh in and see what he thinks.


It's too hot to do much time outside, other than water.  I do that really early and then I'm inside.  This is quilting season for me.  My labors and good purchases are paying off in the garden tho.  This is a balloon flower.  The instructions said full sun, but it looks so delicate, so I put it in a pot, in almost full sun and it did fine, so I moved it to a sunnier spot and it bloomed.  The instructions were true on this one.  They are not always.  

  
This is an ixora.  Love that hot orange.  I can see the blooms on this from the kitchen window.  This plant has recovered nicely from a near death experience over the winter.  It's also in a pot, but it's not going to stay there.  It has a new spot planned, too.


I don't think my society garlic has ever bloomed.  This year, I got this one stalk, so I'm enjoying it.


I don't know how often I post this verbena, but I hope it's not too often.  This is an eye-popping bright magenta that I can see from across the yard, too.  I'm not usually a fan of magenta, but this one is changing my mind.  I've had it three years. The first two were in a pot, where it did okay, but this year, in the ground, it's gone mad.


This basket is developing nicely.  I really didn't expect these plants to take the hot,  5pm sunshine, but it gets that for almost an hour a day.  The rest of the time, it's in dappled sun.  It doesn't take any extra water and the plants; a fern, some variegated liriopi and a variegated English ivy have taken off and are filling the basket more and more.  It's not a bright focal point.  It just sits there and looks cool and green.


-----------------

The news has been giving me peace lately.  I know, right?  But, I feel like I'm seeing America come to its senses and I'm liking that.  More and more, people are finding it necessary to turn their back to the orange toad's ideas, even to speak out.  His cult is still there, and I still worry that they'll resort to armed conflict to defend the false king, but they're getting smaller and smaller in number.  That feels good.  We all know he's going to try some crazy shit between now and November.  We'll see what we will see.  But, the "alternative facts" about covid and the economy and the corruption are being disproven, because there is only one reality.  And, I've been watching.  I cannot be convinced the alternative facts are true.  Fauci is right and we need to listen to him.

Everybody have a great Monday and a peaceful week.  Lane

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Burgundy looks perfect. The garden colors are amazing...so refreshing looking. Thanks for sharing . Mary

Mari said...

I always love your garden pictures. They are so beautiful, and all of your work has paid off really well. Love the sashing, too. I have cut off all news from the current administration for now. They are still there, but I'm happier not hearing their garbage every day. I know I have to tune back in, but the vacation is nice!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I loved seeing all your growing things. Isn't it just wonderful to try to grow things.
I had not heard that comment about brown in a quilt but this burgundy is working perfectly for this particular quilt. It looks beautiful.
I am happy for you and us in Canada too that the news is getting brighter on the political front for your country.

bets said...

The burgundy is just right in that quilt. It's so pretty.
I am so happy you blog on Mondays-- I needed this bit of positivity after a weekend of work and many late nights.
Your flowers are so pretty. Hugs! (from far away)
Betsy

Rebecca Grace said...

Oh my gosh, Lane -- your feathered stars are SPECTACULAR! Wish I could see them up close and in person, because I know that each and every one of your tiny little points is perfect! Also, good news about those little phone icons if you're an Apple user. I saw something recently that said the next iOS update for iPhone was going to have a feature to automatically sort all of your apps into tidy little folders so you can find them!

Megan said...

Well done Rob - the burgundy works wonderfully well.

Looking forward to seeing what you choose for the border.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Dot said...

Really like that burgundy sashing. It showcases the center block and complements the others, which is just me thinking out loud. I always learn something from your quilts.

Our city is going to compulsory masks. It's a groaner in this heat, but I do feel safer and will add wearing a mask to my walks (we have six foot wide, paved trails that felt very adequate for social distancing).

Carla said...

The sashing looks awesome on the feathered star and the burgundy pops.