10/5/20

Gold to Grey

 Today, they come to paint the house.  The guys that did the siding and windows did a really nice job.  Rob was here with them til the end.  Then, the painters came and pressure washed the house, and there are 18 gallons of paint in the back yard.  And, I'm ready for this project to be over, although I must say it was very distracting on Thursday, when there were no workmen milling about.  I kept looking out the window for them.  

Rob did end up doing all the caulking on the inside and the painter did the caulking on the outside after receiving very clear instructions about how it was to be done.  It's so nice to be able to see outside through all those windows but we're also still dealing with keeping others from seeing in.  This weekend, I made blackout curtains for the bedroom.  We used to have heavy roman shades that blacked out the room with lightweight curtains for decoration, mostly.  We're not hanging the roman shades back on the new doors, so we needed something heavier.  The two large ones that hang over the door are done...except after they were done, I realized they're too wide for the space and taking off the extra size would also take off some of the weight (they weigh a ton).  We're having trouble deciding where to place the curtain rod holders to hold the extra weight.  This is a picture of the disassembled curtain with the new blackout lining on top.  I'm marking the bottom hem line to cut it.  The whole process ended up being pretty easy, but handling the weight was like steering a king size quilt across the sewing surface.  

I also promised pictures of the studio.  It still looks cluttered, but you know what?  It always looks cluttered.  It always will look cluttered.  My mind is cluttered and this is the space where I execute whatever my mind creates.  A half dozen things at a time.  

That's it from here, kids.  There just isn't much going on except putting stuff back on the walls.  I'll leave you with a puppy pic.  She's in the chair where Mable sleeps and has pulled the quilt down over herself and is settling in for the night.  It didn't last.  She ended up where she always sleeps now; across my legs.    

------------------------

Well, isn't this a fine kettle of fish.  Inevitability has caught up with us all.  Some will learn from this.  Some will not.  It doesn't change my voting plans.  I hope the president recovers.  I'd like to hope that he will change his messaging after this, but that's a dream too far for even me to dream.  

If you haven't heard about it, gay men have taken over the hashtag #proudboys on twitter.  It seems to have been George Takei's idea.  They're showing what pride actually looks like.  Who knows, you might even find a picture of me and Rob out there, being proud boys.  

Lane

4 comments:

bets said...

Y'all are making great progress on the house! Kudos for making your curtains. When we moved, we got custom drapes-- ouch to the pocketbook, but I was not taking that project on (thought about it for a few seconds, but I know better).
I love your studio and don't think it looks cluttered. It looks cozy.
Miss you!
Betsy

Anonymous said...

The studio looks great.......such a perfect creative space. Thanks for sharing. Mary

ceblakeney said...

The true Proud Boys championing freedom for all have rejected discrimination and taken back the name. Let's continue to champion all who seek to break the chain of discrimination.

Dot said...

Really like the quilt of interlocking squares in your studio.

This business of taking over an indoor campaign rally or a site on twitter(? I don't really have the vocabulary for this) is very modern, effective, and peaceful. You already represent, of course, all three things.