8/12/24

Too much

It was Coco Chanel that said take one thing off before you go out the door.  I think that was good advice.  When I'm designing a quilt, I sometimes have to use it.  This was one of those times.  

I spent a good part of the weekend sewing down flower petals and making leaves.  I got a lot accomplished and last night, just before dinner, I thought I had it all and I placed the last leaves.  


There's no room for any quilting and it needs four more large leaves or 8 more medium ones to make the center look balanced.  

Or, I could take some leaves off.  


That leaves me a little room in the center to quilt the baby's name.  I've still got some leaves to sew down and the flower centers to make.  I hate making circles because they are never quite circular., but I'm going to do my best.   I'm hoping they'll give it that last little bit of oomph that it needs.  

In March, my 12 year old Prius died and I bought a new one.  Since the day I drove it off the lot, there's been something wrong with it.  We took it into the shop over the weekend so they could fix it.  Of course, the only thing they could find was the thing that's going to cost me $3k to fix.  I am sooooooo upset that they sold me a car that had problems and now they aren't offering to help with repairs at all.  I've decided I hate the car and I think we're going to pick it up from the shop on Thursday and trade it in on Saturday.  

It was an impulse purchase.  I needed a car right away.  My Mom was in hospital and not expected to live.  I loved my 2012 Prius.  I thought a 2023 Prius would be just as wonderful.  It was not.  The car is redesigned.  It has a much smaller interior.  It's a struggle for my dad and for Rob to get into it.  There's no space to carry anything.  When there were 3 of us doing those out of town meetings a couple weeks ago, there was no room for luggage.  

Anyway, we're studying the situation now.  Thinking about what I really want and need in a car.  I'm going to lose some money here.  All because of an impulse purchase.  But, that's okay.  Sometimes that happens in the course of taking care of business.  And, while it makes me sad and mad, hopefully whatever we trade it in on will make me glad.  And, I will have had this impulse purchase lesson drilled in again.  If only it was as easy to return a car as it is an Amazon purchase.  

Tampon Tim!  I love it!  Imagine being a transitioning boy and getting caught at school unprepared.  You can't go into the girl's restroom...well, you could but that's not what being a boy is all about.  Imagine having what you need available to you no matter what restroom you go into.  I'm sure a LOT of girls wish there'd been a rubber machine in the lady's restroom.  

Anyway, if that and the fact he retired from the military at an awkward time is the best they got, then bring it on.  That line of attack is not very effective when it comes from the team of a pussy grabbing draft dodger.  trump is so out of touch, he doesn't even realize what he's saying is not true anymore.  In his mind, it is true.  And, people want to give him the nuclear launch codes.  What maroons.  

Somehow, I managed to spend the cool part of both days out in the yard and not take a picture.  It's soooooo hot.  Just a few minutes out there doing what needs doing and I'm exhausted.  And, everything needs so much water.  I have large pots that need to be dunked, but it would take a crane and a pond to do it in.  So I just walk around with the hose, putting water in this one and that one.  I have one plant that I'm going to water every day this week in hopes that if I do that, I'll be able to saturate the soil.  

I lost four orchids recently.  Instead of taking that as the sign from the universe that it obviously is (I don't have time or focus to grow orchids), I used it as an opportunity to buy orchids.  I bought this one this weekend.  What a beautiful flower.  I think maybe these orchids were being grown for an occasion and didn't bloom at the right time.  Now they're blooming and the grower was practically giving them away.  When we walked past them, I said that can't be the right price, but it was.  And, I brought one home.  (impulse purchase...hmmmm)


Everybody have a great week!  Find something you enjoy.  Hug someone you love.  Adapt to the ever changing landscape of life.  

Lane



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Applipops. I am using these gems, and they really do make perfect circles for appliqué. I have no affiliation—just really happy with them.

I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a long time. Thanks for keeping it up!

cbott said...

The clearer center looks so much nicer!

I lost a bundle with an impulse car purchase too, but eventually ended up with exactly the kind of car I had wanted in the first place. It happens, and taught me not to back down when others are trying to talk me into a purchase I don't want or like.

Carolyn in Pflugerville

Terri in BC said...

Love your description of the orange turd! You forgot to add fraudster, though. It will be challenging for your country over the next few months and hopefully, a very clear winner will emerge. All the best from your Northern neighbour.

Anonymous said...

Remember, orchids don’t need a lot of water…one ice cube a week or every other week.

Anonymous said...

Lots of work….but it’s going to be lovely. Thanks for sharing, Mary