9/5/10

tension is a 4 letter word

Actually, it's a string of 4 letter words.


I started this quilt a couple of years ago and messed up the quilting in the middle section. It's been on my mind lately and it's technically a UFO, so out it came and I frogged out all the quilting in the middle and all was well.
Until I remembered why I messed up the middle. I quilted the stupid thing in invisible thread. Now, I do not know why I can't get good tension adjustment with invisible thread in the top and a very fine poly in the bottom. It's like the one combination that just will not work for me. But, the bottom thread is a dark blue and you can imagine how the bobbin pop-up broke up all that white...right.
Anyway, I futzed with it and worked with it and my machine and I drew some kind of a truce where there was just a little bit of pop-up and on I've gone. And, on and on and on. Hoping to finish it this weekend. Another UFO bites the dust.
Lane

6 comments:

Becky said...

Jeepers! I love the center motif! That would make a beautiful wallhanging itself in shades of yellow/orange!!!

Becky said...

Another Becky here - this quilt is AWESOME! I love the color combination.

Patricia said...

I agree--with the two Becky's!!!! Have you tried using poly in the bobbin as well? I quilted a small quilt using this technique and it really worked well. You have to be careful in winding the bobbin though--don't wind it full because it will literally explode since the poly will "relax" once you stop winding and you have more on the bobbin than it looks. Also if you do decide to put it in the bobbin as well, plan to set this bobbin aside. It literally took me "years" to use up all the poly on the bobbin since this isn't a thread I use everyday. I also use the poly in the bobbin when I do thread painting.

Have a great Sunday Lane! xoxo

Michelle said...

Beautiful quilt! So glad you decided to work on it again, even if it was a bit froggy to start.

Elizabeth said...

That is a really beautiful quilt. I love the colors! The quilting around the center pinwheel is a big wow! And sometimes, really, finished is way better than perfect.

xo -E

Becky said...

I hope you understood that I meant the quilting motif of the sun.....