6/21/13

Summer

Welcome to the first day of hell…uh, I mean summer.

It’s officially begun, and any day, the official temp could rise above a hundred and stay there for a couple of months.  I keep thinking how lucky we are, because in 2011, we’d already had 18 days above a hundred before summer started.  Hopefully, this drought is slowly ending, the same way it slowly began. 

Or, it’s climate change and we’re all doomed.

I might get to meet the lady that sent me the box of Sudie’s quilt scraps tomorrow.  I really need to know more about Sudie.  Anyway, here are four hand pieced mariner’s compass blocks.  They aren’t perfect, but they look perfect.  I will definitely find a way to use them, maybe in a four block quilt with these appliqued onto it.

I can’t pick a favorite.

100_5492

100_5493

100_5494

100_5495  

As a reminder, I was gifted a box of “scraps” that has turned out to be a treasure chest.  I don’t know anything about the maker yet, but am loving her work, all done by hand.  I have one more quilt to show you, but it’s so special that I have to wait until it is ironed before I take pictures.  So, it will be a while because I can only iron before the sun comes up.

Of course, summer is the season for garden pictures.  My friend Kath posted pictures of her garden in England yesterday and we found we both have shasta daisies…except she said hers grow like wild flowers and mine have to be coddled and talked to.

100_5486

A very deep red daylily.  This is it’s first year here.

100_5488

Phlox

100_5489

Ixora

100_5490

Caladium

I can’t wait for my friends to see it.  It’s preened and picked and there’s not a dead leaf or stick anywhere to be seen.  A very well groomed garden.  But, it’s too hot to keep this up.

Be well and have a great Friday.  Tomorrow is a shopping day at a large rural plant nursery and antique shops.

Yay!

Lane

7 comments:

andsewon said...

Oh my goodness more wonderful Sudie treasures! You could always do 4 smallish wall hangings or table toppers. I adore the Fallish colored one and the last one with the plaid, has a Christmas look to it! Sure you will do them all up wonderfully. I am betting your garden is awesome! We are not as hot here but humidity has reared it's ugly head so we wilt. Sounds like a happy weekend of fun!
Humm okay going to try word verify one more time!

Bianca said...

Could you send us some sun?? We had exactly two - yes, count them; 2! - nice day this spring and today summer started with rain, rain, more rain... Wish I could immegrate!

Small question too; What's the best time of year to see/visit Texas? We're thinking of going to the US again next year, but don't know where to yet. I'm thinking Texas or route 89 (from Calgary Can. to Tuscon AZ) We prefer to travel in september, but is it not still too hot in Texas than???
Would appriciate your input. (and when we choose TX, your tips are very welcome too!)

Have a great weekend, good luck with the temps and hang in there!
Bianca

Kath said...

100' PHEW! the temps in Thailand were similar and air con was a life saver. We never get temps like that here in England. No wonder ironing is done at dawn. Do you cook much, or eat a lot of salads?

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your garden Lane.

Susan Entwistle said...

Yippee...can't wait to see what you come home with tomorrow. (Oh, and please iron that quilt before you leave :) )

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

What beautiful blocks!!! You lucky man !!!!!

Rebecca Grace said...

WOW!!! You really hit the jackpot, didn't you?! Those mariner's compasses are to die for, especially the red one.

Try to enjoy this summer despite the heat. If the scientists know what they are talking about, in a few years the summers will be so hot that no one can go outdoors during the day safely, and you'll look back on this summer with longing, saying "Remember when we could still go outside in the summer and enjoy the sunshine?"

qltmom9 said...

I'll quit grumpling about my humid 90 degrees. LOL! We get above 100 a few times a year.

L~