9/19/13

He’s got a yellow streak down his back a mile wide

That used to be a phrase to say someone was a “big old fraidy cat.”

Okay, so my streak wasn’t yellow.  It was just faded along a fold line.

100_5945  

Unfortunately, that fold line ran down the center back of the coat.  It’s not too noticeable, which explains why I didn’t see it until the back was attached to the front.  Unfortunately, once I’d seen it, I couldn’t stop seeing it.  Every time I moved the coat, I’d see this streak. 

So, I decided to open up the yoke facing and insert a 1 1/2” strip (cut 2 1/2), appliqued down the center, just like the yoke facings are appliqued on.  I took out the side seams to make it easier to re-topstitch the yoke back on, over the strip.  Here is the strip pinned on and pushed under the yoke before I opened the whole yoke up.

100_5946

It will take four topstitch lines to secure it.  I got three of them in this morning. 

100_5947

Before this happened

100_5950

So, I’m stopped until I can get to the store. 

The perfectionism that I’m pouring into this coat is supposed to be taking the strain off family time, but I’m still pretty anxious and excitable.  I think last night I was overbearing and at one point, Sydney just turned around and asked “what did I do to you tonight?” 

I’m trying to be really good.  I am.  But sometimes, I remember that she said she has to do chores because I am lazy when it isn’t appropriate for me to remember that. 

Everybody have a great Thursday.  Yesterday’s interview was harder than the day before.  It wasn’t the interviewer.  It was the questions she chose to ask.  The way we interview, you get topics and multiple questions to ask for each topic.  Some questions are easy, some are hard, and it’s up to the interviewer’s discretion to pick which one they ask.  I think she went through and circled all the hard ones.  I was exhausted after we finished.

And, I have another one today.

Lane

4 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Good luck today, they'd be lucky to have you in this new position!

Pam said...

Good luck on your interviews! I know they are tough -- but remember you're fantastic!

Also-- great idea on the fold line -- I've been running out of thread on projects myself lately -- I've even been forced to use serger tread on the spools (I know!).

lw said...

I hate running out of thread. The closest fabric store is 45 miles from here. So I stock up when I get the chance, but it's hard to foresee things like your save on the streaky fabric.

It sounds like the interviewer expected a lot from you, which is probably a good thing.

Elizabeth said...

I agree with LW. If the interviewer is asking hard questions, it means they think you have the answers. I talked about my job interview when I already had a job in you last post. It was the hardest question that got me the job. I paused, smiled, and said, "well that's a hard one," while I collected my thoughts. And then I gave them the answer they were looking for.

Keep us posted. Good, bad or ugly, we (and by we, I mean me) are here rooting for you!

Also, the coat is coming along beautifully. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

xo -E