6/17/14

First day, work day

I’ve come to think of the first day of vacation as a work day for me.  We go to the grocery, and we go to the Wal-Mart and then I come home and cook for the week.

Not so much fun.  But, after all that is done, I get to start enjoying the week. 

We rent a cabin, so we never know what is going to be in it.  That means a trip to Wal-Mart for cheap supplies.  And, we did fit in a couple stops at thrift shops and antique shops.

I got a barometer at the same shop I bought a barometer last year.  It’s Hansel and Gretl themed, with a house and a fireplace scene in the background, complete with black cat.  When the children come out, it’s going to be a pretty day and when the witch comes out, it’s going to rain.  I set it this morning, and within an hour, the old witch came out.  And, the weatherman on one of the three TV channels we get here said chances of rain were increasing throughout the day and throughout the week.  I will be perfectly happy sitting on the front porch of this cabin and quilting in the rain.  Yay, old witch!

100_6862

I picked up a couple little things at the St. Vincent’s.  Some napkins made from a vintage fabric and then a couple little bits and pieces of fabric.  That yellow piece is likely going to be a future Hawaiian style quilt.  I was going to buy a pattern, but Pam reminded me yesterday that Hawaiian quilters draw their own patterns, so I’ve been thinking of something with the themes out of my yard; a daylily and some aspidistra.  I don’t know, we’ll see if I can actually draw it out, but it’s definitely a thought. 

100_6863

One of the things I enjoy is cooking.  I especially enjoy making a great meal out of what I can pull together at the cabin.  Groceries here are sky high, so I bring what I can and focus on perishables here.  Last night, we had grilled chicken and home made potato salad and baked beans and coleslaw, with leftover cabbage and carrots from the Scout Dinners that are cooked and waiting in the fridge.  For dessert, fresh baked (from frozen) peach pie and ice cream.  This morning’s pancake breakfast didn’t work well.  My tools and the cheap pancake mix did not go together.  So, I scrapped that and made toast to go with the eggs and potatoes and bacon.  “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. 

Syd is at the stable, preparing horses for the day’s ride.  And, this is my time.  Time to blog and quilt and enjoy the scenery.  Later, it will be time to go do something.  But for now, I just get to sit back and enjoy the “nothing going on” time that makes vacation for me.  Rob and I have made the perfect plan for today's adventure.  We're going Northeast.  That's all we know.  If we get to Branson, MO, we'll turn around and come back on another road.  Some people wait for vacation to come to them.  Other people go out and get it.

There are people in the cabins and at the lodge now.  There are teen girls.  Uh-oh.

Okay, so that’s it for today.  Vacation is freedom from making decisions. 

Lane

4 comments:

Kath said...

I love your little weather house! I hope you all have a perfect holiday, doing exactly what you want to do.

http://thankfullga447 said...

My parents had a weather house like that and I miss it. I know of a German shop in TX or thrift stores. I am not a pancake person but I make my own crepe/pancake mix. 2 eggs, 1 cup flour and 1 cup milk. I saute some apples in butter and brown sugar and put it on top of the crepes.

LuAnn said...

It sounds like the perfect vacation. We have a cabin that we like to go in Tennessee. We just stop at the grocery and then sit there and look at the mountains (of course, I stitch!). I envy you; have a great time.

Becky said...

You're talking my kind of vacating!! Sittin' and stitchin', then find something to do every once in a while. Enjoy your rest time, you deserve it!!