1/29/16

They took it back!

They didn't want to.  In fact, I'm pretty sure the manager thought she was doing the wrong thing.  But, she did it. 

I confess that I drove by yesterday.  I just wasn't up to any possibility of a conflict.  But, as I drove on, I was "refortified" and figured out exactly how I wanted to start the conversation and I turned around and gave it a try. 

I asked if I could return a piece of fabric.  The sales clerk said sure, as long as you haven't washed it.  And, I said, well, I washed it and that's when the problem started.  I showed her my color catchers and explained that the dye was unstable and the fabric would never stop bleeding.  She called the manager and I explained it all again.  And, the manager agreed to give me my money back.  But, she was very hesitant and timid about it.  I almost felt sorry for her.  Anyway, she had the sales clerk measure the fabric...and pointed out I should have 5 yards and I pointed out I'd have some shrinkage.  And, the sales clerk measured it and there was over 5 yards.  5.75 yards to be exact.  And, I was like, that's a miscut.  I really only thought I was getting 5 yards.  Nobody thought that was funny except me. 

So, we did the business and I walked out a happy customer.  At the end, the manager said so you just didn't think it would stop bleeding?  And, I said answered that I'd washed it four times and it sure didn't look like it was ever going to stop.  I think she was worried she was going to have to explain that later. 

Now, here's what I gleaned from my Kona research.  I don't remember where I read it, but you can find it if you search for kona cotton bleeding.  I mentioned two Kona's yesterday.  There is Kona and there is kona.  Kona with a capital K is a brand name manufactured by the Robert Kaufman company in the US.  kona with a lower case k is an adjective, used to describe a cotton made in Pakistan...If I didn't get that right, it's cause I was working and reading at the same time. 

Anyway, what the big box stores sell is often a lower case k.  I didn't go check the bolt...it didn't seem the right time.  But I intend to, the next time I'm in Hancock Fabrics. 

I've gotten to the re-quilting phase of the Dresden Plate quilt.  When I did the stability quilting along the sashing lines, I messed up this corner.  So, when I quilted around the plate, it was off too.  Now, it's time to put the straight lines in to form the corner, and it's my last chance to correct it. 


When I quilted this the first time, the backing didn't hang over the edge of the frame.  and the corner shifted on me and "hiked up" about a half inch.  It was an obvious mistake.  And, my thought at the time was, oh, I'll cut that extra fabric off.  A half inch off one part of one side of a border.  Like the judge won't notice.  Granted, I was probably very tired of struggling with that corner at the time.   

Anyway, it's fixed now and the quilting proceeds.  I will say that picking out yellow thread from yellow fabric is a pain.  Literally.  It'll give a headache.  I'd say "what was I thinking?" except that yellow thread is perfect in this quilt in every aspect...except error correction.

Everybody have a great Friday.  Lane

5 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Way to go! Not one to enjoy confrontation, I admire your courage -- well, first I admire your tenacity in washing the dang stuff four times!

Barb H said...

Glad the store manager had sense enough to do the right thing and not stick to the store rules. Couple of lessons here for all of us: Wash fabric first; Be cautious about Big Box Store merchandise.

http://thankfullga447 said...

I have never brought Kona at Joann's or Hancock and now I am glad I didn't.
I buy other fabric there. Thanks for letting me know.

lw said...

Good for you and the store manager. Hopefully they'll push back on the manufacturer and they'll put out a better product.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Kona/kona explanation. I didn't know. That info will save me some grief. Glad it worked out for you and that you had the tenacity to do it!