3/25/16

Progress

A couple weeks ago, I ran out of the building blocks of the DWR quilt; the beige and tan squares that make up the arcs.  I had to cut more.  And, that really was no problem.  I certainly have the fabric.  But, it slowed down the progress.  Once the squares were cut, I ran like the wind through two more rows of blocks...or rounds.  Whatever they are. 


Two more rows to go...at least.  I have been considering whether I would need to add a column and make it 49 blocks instead of 42.  I'm going to need to put one row together and get a final measurement.  I don't think I want to make it wider.  This way it measures about 80" and when I assemble the rows, I'm going to lose about 3" leaving me at 77" and that should still be plenty wide enough for a queen sized bed, which is 60".

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to someone if I showed how it is assembled.  You piece arcs, then sew them to a pointy oval of background and that's called a melon.  You sew the melons to the center part of the block.  Well, mostly I pin.  Then, I sew just a few minutes.  Then, I pin a lot again.  For example, I pinned for two hours the other night watching TV and it took me 30 minutes to sew it together and iron it the next morning. 


The easiest way to show how it goes together is to show how it comes apart.  So, I took out just the full circles.  The rest is just made up of single melons, double melons and triple melons. 

 
 
I love the even numbered rows.  They go really fast.  They are one double melon and 5 singles.  Odd numbered rows take a lot longer. 
 
Work is crazy.  I got involved in a project and did a really good job of it.  Not a great job.  But, I met the expectation.  Maybe even exceeded the expectation a little bit.  That just feels weird because I'm used to exceeding the expectation by leaps and bounds.  But, I can critique it and tell where I went wrong and learn from that.  But, it's led to a thousand questions from my peers who are following my instructions.  And, at the same time, I'm trying to execute the project at my desk too.  It's CRAZY!!  But, the days pass so fast.  I just sit down and it's time for lunch.  Then, before I know it, everyone is telling me they'll see me tomorrow. 
 
And, at the same time, I'm trying to clean up a document that needs to be sent to the government.  And, before approval, it gets reviewed by the grammar police...at the government...I picture a wrinkled lady with a bun and sensible shoes and chalkdust on her bodice, leaning against a yardstick like a cane and telling me that a run-on sentence gets an automatic F.  Several attempted updates to the document have failed and been abandoned because of grammar.  Freaking grammar, y'all.  We learned that in grade school.  Why is something so simple holding us up.  Why hasn't anyone thought to call a proofreader?  Now, it's become a crisis, of course.  The person before me was way out of her league and what she handed off to me is a huge mess.  I'm trying not to blame her.  It really isn't her fault.  The only thing she did wrong was not ask for help.  But, that's okay...Cuz I can do dang near anything, given enough time. 
 
And, solving the impossible is what I'm known for.  And, come to think of it, probably how I ended up with these two projects. 
 
Yay, me. 
 
When will I learn to keep my mouth shut?
 
And, do I really want to?
 
This is kind of fun.
 
Sydney has a job.  You guys don't know how exciting that is.  She made great tips on Monday night and she's working the same shift tonight.  And, she's working tomorrow and presumably would be on Sunday, except they're closed for the holiday.  I think she's enjoying it.  And, she's learning responsibility and negotiating because she's got to balance our expectations and her boss's expectations and her school expectations, all at the same time.  She gets so frustrated.  But, I just keep encouraging her and doing my best to understand.  And, doing my BEST to understand!
 
We've had thunderstorms.  The rain is great.  We've had hail, but no real damage.  A few limbs down.  The greenhouse roof was the greatest danger, but it's worked fine.  The only real damage was the oakleaf hydrangea.  I've been growing that for several years from some roots that came from my sister's yard.  I've babied and coddled it.  They don't naturally grow here.  This year, it had two bloom heads.  And, in the rain, both broke off.  Grrrrrr.  Gardening can be very frustrating.  But, I'm looking at it this way; now, I know it will bloom here, and I know how to get it to.  I've been trying to figure that out for a few years because there's just not much written about growing them.  Anyway, there's always next year.  I hope.  And, I put the limbs in a large vase of water, thinking maaaaaayybe it will still bloom?  Probly not but what else have I got to do than try to force a limb?
 
Everybody have a great weekend!  I have a little gardening to do, and some work in the neighbor's flowerbeds and I'm hoping to maybe make another row for the DWR quilt.  And start quilting the star quilt.  And, decide what I'm going to do about the thread.  It's always something.  Thank goodness.
 
Lane

2 comments:

Scott said...

Thanks for posting the assembly of the DWR. I've been wanting to try one, and been working up the nerve...I don't do well with sewing curves. LOL Yours is looking fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you have shared the method of assembling the quilt. I have a notion to try one myself, but I was put off by the tricky seams. I think I might just have a go now! Don't your word-processing packages have an automatic grammar checker? They do in Scotland. Lots of little blue lines…. and red ones for mis-spelt words…...