8/8/16

Busy quilting weekend

It was too hot to do much else.  So, I put my quilting hat on and I went for it.  First, I got the binding on the double wedding ring. 

I bought the binding on Saturday morning and got it laundered and then I ironed it in the garage and cut it in the kitchen, where I had plenty of nice flat space and I laid out a cutting mat and sliced it into diagonal strips. I'm using Sharon Schamber's videos as my guide to attach the binding.  I was too afraid to fold my fabric in that little square and cut into it...I needed to see the diagonal as I cut it.  That's working great!  It's not what I remembered or thought I was going to be doing, but it's worked very well and I highly recommend it.  . 


I'm still improving my method on the inward points that make a scalloped binding what it is. 
 

I rolled the binding on a leftover piece of pool noodle and laid it in my lap when I was sewing it to the quilt. 


Before I cut my quilt, I did practice a couple times.  It would have been a fine quilt left square, so I needed to make sure that I was up for the scalloped edges.  I tried three different methods, including the one I remembered and it didn't take long to know which one was the best. 



And, as if that wasn't ambitious enough, I decided to pin baste one of the Linus tops and piece a back together and get it started.  I got about half way before I had to walk away from all those straight lines. 


And, I started cutting the leftovers from the DWR into small pieces for a double nine patch.  Because, like...waste not, want not, right? 

Except I have about four thousand yards of fabric and don't really need to save the tiny scraps. 

It's the quilter in me makes me do it.  There's something about making something big and useful out of the tiniest of leftover things. 

Everybody have a great Monday.  I hope it marks the start of a wonderful week for us all.  And, poor little working girl Sydney, who I feel like I never get to see anymore because when I'm not at work, she is. 

Life is change. 

Lane



5 comments:

Gene Black said...

I have plenty of fabric, but I can't seem to toss those tiny pieces either. But sometimes that curse is also a blessing.

If you make your own binding and cut it on the bias it is probably easier to make those curves. I have a much viewed video on YouTube for an easy way to cut the bias binding.

Kath said...

I am in awe of your beautiful binding, Lane. Tiny scraps always come in handy here, as I make lots of small projects. Recently some of my guild members gave me some lovely little bits, as they knew I was making scrappy 1/2" hexagons. I sometimes think I need therapy LOL

Becky said...

The binding fabric is a perfect choice...surprise, surprise! haha I can't wait to see the whole thing spread out on a bed. It's gonna be fabulous!!

Have a great,easy week!

Love ya!
Becky

The Joyful Quilter said...

Smart thinking to do a test piece for the scalloped binding!

Anonymous said...

I don't quilt but I can't throw fabric away either. But my big passion, or should I say compulsion, is mending. I must have done it in a previous life.