Weekends are too short

I realize that people used to have to work every day, from sun up to sun down.  But, I bet those people weren't very happy.  And, we're lucky that we don't have to live like that.  But, this whole 5 days on, 2 days off could still be improved upon.

I started Sunday by cleaning up the messes I made working in the yard on Saturday.  I'm cleaning last year's leaves out of beds and cutting damaged leaves off the aspidistra.  And, finding things that we stuck in the beds and forgot about.  I'll never get to all the things I want to do in the yard, which is a good thing because there's always something to look forward to.

You all hear me talk about my stone path all the time.  It winds through the garden, letting me get up close to the plants. 

Plants are just jumping out of the ground.  Not many blooms yet, still a little early.  But, we're having days in the 80's, so it won't be long.  The roses are all setting buds and the mock orange is about to explode in a fountain of white.

I go out and dig in the dirt and get it all up under my fingernails and my hands hurt and I'm a little bit allergic from dragging moldy leaves out of flowerbeds. 

But, I love it.  I love the constant variety and the new things that happen unexpectedly and waiting for something for a year and seeing it emerge and go through it's annual cycle.

Like running into an old friend.  This last pic is behind the shed.  Still got some cleaning up to do on this side of the yard.  This is where Rob was working over the last couple weekends, so I was trying to stay out of his way.

On a quilty note, I got this quilt bound. 

I cut three bindings before I found one I wanted.  I did a red one and hated it against the back.  Then, I cut a dark blue one thinking, oh, it's dark blue.  It will look good with the back.  NOT.  Then, I cut this gold one.  So, I have two more bindings ready, I guess I'll have to make two more Linus quilts to go with them. 

No problem.

The baby quilt is together.  And, on Saturday, we picked up a back that's been washed and is ready to iron.  I'd show you the top, but I folded it up to take to JoAnn's and it got all wrinkled.  Because I apparently love to iron.  NOT!

I made a really good effort on the baby blanket.  I did what she asked for.  I wouldn't wrap a baby in it, but I'm not this baby's mom.  Part of what I did worked.  Part didn't.  It is the best I could do and I'll try to take a picture later, just to show what not to say yes to when someone asks you. 

Yesterday, we had lunch with our friend LD.  That's always a great and inspiring trip.  She is working a puzzle and Rob and I both stopped at the table for a while.  That was addictive.  Then, I came home and did chores and cooked some food and cleaned some house and got ready for another five on. 

Gotta do something about that. 

Everybody have a great Monday!  Another day in paradise.  But, at least I've found a good music app, so there will likely be chair dancing.  I don't think my young co-workers understand. 

That's okay.  One day, they'll get that it's more important to enjoy the day than to just sit there and act professional. 

Not that they're all that professional.  But, they're young and have a different standard for what professional looks like as is illustrated by their shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops. 



Dot said...

You have at least four topics that you cover, always from a fresh point of view - working in your yard, quilts, work attitude, and sharing your best self with other people. I always leave your blog planning to follow your good example and make the day better. Not that sure I hit your high standard as you have set the bar pretty high.

Thank you so much for every one of your blog posts.

Looking forward to seeing the completed baby quilt.

Anonymous said...

Good morning! There's some great shades of green in your garden. I like your binding. Good choice. Anxious to see a photo of the baby blanket you were asked to make. Shorts...flip flops....I hear ya! To add.....legging ARE NOT pants! Have a great week. Mary

Lakegaldonna said...

I worked a job that had 4 days on, 3 days off. So, It was a 10 hr day and I was also in leadership which really means my days were 4 10 or 11 hr 12 hr. Days. Wednesday-Saturday. It was a pretty physical job and directing a crew of 9-40 people to do various tasks which changed daily.

I loved the job on most days. It was so physical and mentally exhausting that on that first day off, Sunday, I was good for nothing. I might pull it together enough to maybe toss in a load of laundry but not much else. I'm pretty sure that I didn't talk in full sentences on that first day off.
Monday and Tuesday were pretty good, much like your weekends are, two days off.

So be careful what you wish for..... ;-)

We are retired now and loving every minute. We wake up each and every Monday and say "It's Monday and we are not at work!"

Mary said...

So nice to see a garden not under snow. I did get my hands in dirt today repotting my geraniums that are wintering over inside. Sigh, spring will come, some day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your newly completed Linus quilt. The gold binding looks perfect with the quilt... front AND back!!