12/24/18

Twas the day before Christmas

Well, tomorrow is the big day.  And, true to my nature, I decided I wanted to give some other people gifts.  But, that I didn't want to go out in the crowded stores.  So, I made 19 dozen cookies...

There's an emoji for what you just felt when you read that. 


At the grocery yesterday, I picked up some trays for half off and used them to hold about four dozen each and we went to see the neighbors.  It was down right Victorian. 

Lazy frosted sugar cookies with a tiny bit of orange extract.  Lazy because I tried to pipe a few and said a most un-Christmas like word and frosted them with an offset spatula.  And, I made 10 dozen of my Mom's fruitcake cookies.  They're basically pecans and fruit held together with sugar, butter and eggs, so nothing wrong with that.  This year, instead of using the candied fruit my family has always used and I couldn't find in the grocery, I used dried fruit; pineapple and tart cherries.  And, they're even better than I remember them from childhood.  I made Lace cookies using Linda's recipe and a batch of Hello Dollies, which are a bar cookie with a graham cracker crust and coconut and pecans and chocolate chips...and a can of sweetened condensed milk.  Because, you know.  What's a little Christmas stress without a crapload of sugar content. 

Today is bread day.  I'll be making a monkey bread and rolls for tomorrow.  Tomorrow's tradition is ham and scalloped potatoes.  This year, in the new tradition of trying new recipes, I made my own pineapple spice ham glaze yesterday and we're having au gratin potatoes with spinach and glazed carrots and a salad and green bean casserole and rolls...and cookies. 

Yesterday was my Dad's birthday.  We had a very nice chat.  It was good to talk to him.  Unfortunately, I was keeping him from his lunch so didn't get to talk long, but it's always good to hear what he's thinking about.  He has a way of saying some little something when we talk that makes me feel good.  I hope one day Sydney says that about me. 

Everybody have a wonderful Christmas Eve!  Share a cookie with someone you love.  Instead of hoping Santa is good to you, I'm sending wishes of peaceful holidays, filled with love and laughter. 

Lane

5 comments:

Dot said...

"Peaceful holidays, filled with love and laughter" - I can't think of anything nicer. No doubt I'll shamelessly add that note to my Christmas cards in the future.

Happy holidays to you and your family, Lane.

Mary said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

a Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy New Year to you and your family. Thanks for sharing all that you do.

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays....Merry Christmas....Peace. And Joy to all. Mary

Anonymous said...

Late, as usual...Wish I could have made 19 dozen cookies. Made old fashioned tea cakes. Someone ate them as they came out of oven. Oh, how good and what memories they brought. Thought about the fruit cake cookies, but alas, did not have ingredients and no time to go to the grocery. I admire your energy and organization. lum