1/14/19

First real weekend of the year

The weekend before New Year's, we took down Christmas.  That wasn't very relaxing.  The next weekend, we rested.  But the weekend just passed, I spent cleaning house.  Like major cleaning.  I emptied the drawers in the kitchen and pulled things out of cabinets and focused on putting things back where they belong.  I put away those two piles in the bedroom that were getting taller and taller with things that we needed for a minute and a half and then I didn't put away.  I haven't done that in a while and found things I forgot I had.  Syd hates putting dishes away, so she's like my dart game...on the board, but never really the bullseye.  Things are close.  And, if I poke around a little, I can usually find what I'm looking for.  But, it's frustrating and now everything is where I want it.  And, I'm taking over putting away the dishes.

The only quilting I did was the first few pieces of the hummingbird applique kit I got from David Taylor.  It's the hummingbird's belly and really doesn't look like anything so I'm going to spare you that pic.  I'm very excited about that project and really want to start it.  But, I decided I really needed to finish my latest piece of needlepoint because I was just as excited to start it not long ago and I'd really like to see it finished.  And if I move on to other things...well, we all know how that goes.  I may never come back.


Still filling in the upper left corner, but I've made a good bit of progress.  Each time I sit down, I try to look back at some of my skipped stitches and fill a few of those in.  It's boring work.  Thread the needle, make 2 or 3 or 6 stitches and then tie it off.  After a few of those, I'm bored and ready to work in blank canvas. 

I took a walk out in the garden the other day.  It's definitely in winter garden mode, just as it should be.  As I walked, I was thinking how bad it looked, but then I realized, that's not really true.  Even in winter, there are still some pretty spots. 


Yellow roses.


The witch hazel looks green and gold and sits in a bed of wood ferns. 


Can't remember.  Sorry, but pretty common so you can probably find it if you're interested.  My Mom could tell you off the top of her head. 

And, there are spots that don't look so great.



I need to come in with the clippers and clean that up.  But, you know, it'll wait.  No need to do everything all at one time. 

Everybody have a great week!  I'm still getting caught up at work.  My boss took the same days off that I did.  Except he didn't take them off the same way I did.  So, he came back to work with all kind of project ideas, so add that to my normal workload and I'm definitely staying busy.  The days pass fast.  And, I get home for family time.  We came through our days off for the better.  Rob and I being here with nothing to do and no one to do it with kind of caused us to focus on one another.  And, we haven't taken our eyes off that.  We may  have gotten a little relationship lazy...didn't dress up for one another, didn't focus on complementing one another, quick pecks instead of meaningful kisses.  And, that's not happening right now.  And, we're both enjoying it.  Relationship rejuvenation. 

Prayer request.  Or whatever you do to send positive thoughts to your higher power and ask for people to be protected.  Rob's best friend's daughter had a minor infection and it got out of hand and now she is in ICU, very ill.  We're sending our best thoughts to her and her family that she will recover soon. 

Lane 

4 comments:

Dot said...

The thing that catches my eye in your needlepoint picture is the park bench. I want to walk down that flower bordered path and sit on that peaceful park bench. Nice work.

Good for you for working on your relationship. It makes life shine brighter.

Sending my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wishing her a speedy recovery. Mary

Anonymous said...

Love the needlepoint. Never learned to do a blank canvas. Wish I could walk down the path and sit on the bench for a little bit. Sending prayers for Rob's friend. Bet your Mom cannot name that plant. She might could have when you still lived at home. You have taken some of her finest habits. lum

BJ said...

I had an infection like that when I was in my early 30's. Staph. I recovered, tho I had a hard time walking for quite a while, and I had a lot of pain for a long time. Still have some residual pain.

The younger you are, the more likely you are to recover.

I would not wish this type of infection on my worst enemy. Sending prayers their way.