5/20/19

Group Sew-in

The other night, Sydney was letting us know she had to work Saturday night.  And, I said okay.  We're going to a party and also wouldn't be home.  She asked when we got a social life.  We've been to two parties in two months and suddenly we have a social life.  But, it's good.  We needed to find grown up things to do as she grows more and more into her own life. 

The party was a graduation party for Rob's best friend's daughter.  She just graduated with a degree in film and is moving to L.A. to make her mark on the film industry.  I wish her luck.  They were running her films on a loop on their TV mixed in with videos and pictures of her as a small child.  It was really cute.  And, we had a very fun time.  It was a small group and I'd met most of them at other parties.  We laughed and ate and laughed and laughed some more. 

On Sunday, we had the group sew in for the guild raffle quilt.  It was a great group.  Sixteen people plus my co-chair and me.  It was everything it was supposed to be for a host.  I was still cutting kits when people got there, but we got them all started and I finished cutting fabric and making kits as people were starting to sew.  There was "feedback" given about mistakes made and pieces cut too small in the kits.  There has to be that.  And, there was the requisite person that wanted to give up and I convinced her to just give it a try and that every stitch she sewed that day was one I didn't have to sew later and get as far as she could and I'd finish up for her.  And, soon as she relaxed, she ended up laughing and having as much fun as anybody and making and assembling pieces.  We sewed for about 6 hours.  Part way through I suggested folks try the curved piecing while we were in a group and could talk through it.  And, everybody had a really hard time of it, and we talked about alternative methods of attaching the center; applique, hand stitching, and "just glue it on and let the quilter deal with it".  That was my favorite.  It's a very tight and difficult curve, but after hearing everyone's feedback yesterday, I think I figured out an easy way to do it, so soon as I can get on my machine, I'm going to try it and if it works, I'll send an email out to the participants. 

And, when it was done, I dropped everything that was coming home with me into a box in a disorganized mess that I'll need to straighten out before I can sew anything.  There were a few minutes when we couldn't account for 6 kits and I wondered if people made mistakes and just picked up a fresh kit.  But, over dinner, I figured out where they went and now I can relax. 

In the end, there were lots of compliments that the event was fun and that the project was well organized.  And, really, that is all I can hope for from a group event.  Now, it's just answering questions and waiting for blocks to come back in so we can start sewing them together. 

I have no pictures.  No projects of my own.  A fat black hairy caterpillar ate the last two peach Iris.  That was disappointing.  I moved him to the side yard, out of my garden.  I probably shouldn't have.  He was just doing his thing and who knows what beautiful butterfly he will turn into later. 

But, I do have pictures of the oakleaf hydrangea that is blooming like crazy.  It finally found its happy place.  And, I'm happy about that. 


Can't remember what this is, but these are its first blooms.  It takes the hottest evening sun on the deck and loves it and gives these beautiful delicate flowers. 


And, I got my first strawberry.  It was delicious and sweet.  I'll never make a fruit stand.  But, I might get to enjoy some really good fruit. 


Finally, I took the new job.  I'll be starting the end of June.  They're having a tug of war over who gets my attention and that's awkward.  But, I guess there are worse things that could be awkward than having two groups fighting for my attention.  Anyway, the new group is very excited to have me and already wanting to learn what I can do for them.  And, the news is starting to leak out slowly.  I'm looking forward to new changes and a fresh start.  Everybody needs a few fresh starts in life, right?  And, as uncomfortable and awkward as they can be, it's usually for the best in the end.  So, here's to new things and fresh starts. 

Have a great week!!  I'll be sewing guild kits.  (I think I might have accidentally brought home three...eek!!!)

Lane

4 comments:

Mari said...

Congratulations on the new job and the successful sew-in. I always love the pictures of your garden, too! Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

I’m glad you took the new job. Good luck! Mary

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job...I know you will add much to this new group. Cannot imagine anything eating the iris, what a shame. Hope that beautiful butterfly just flits around your garden so you can enjoy it. I probably would have squashed it instead of moving it. Saw a friends oak leaf this week, it too was in full bloom. Makes me want one. Enjoy your social life. lum

Mary said...

Congrats on taking the new job. You're right, we sometimes need to branch out into new things and challenge ourselves. Loving your garden pics, we have had so much rain but today I found the lilacs in bloom