7/1/19

All is well

It's been a very busy week.  We passed the plumbing test and have had the carpet re-stretched and after steam cleaning carpet and furniture, we started moving back in.  We're almost done.  Everything I packed has been washed and put away.  My storage area and fabric cutting table in the garage are put back together.  All of Rob's things are put away, but I still have a couple "piles" of stuff that just needs to be dealt with.  Most of it is stuff we found as strays when we were packing and finally dealt with, and now it's time to put those things away.  It's been like moving, except most things went back where they came from, except more organized. 

Unfortunately, being unpacked means I've lost my excuse for not cooking. 

I haven't gotten to much sewing, but I have finished four more Sue and Bill blocks.  One more Sue to go.  And, she's going to need a new hat, so I'm held up looking for a good fabric. 
 

 I have no idea what I'm going to do with this.  But, it's another pattern I've never made and now I can say I have.  If I remember correctly, Little Dutch Boy, Little Dutch girl was my grandmother's go-to pattern and making these blocks has made me think of her. 

It's pink week in the garden.  I've watched this Mallow of Sydney's for several weeks.  We thought it was dead, but then it put out a stem and now it's blooming like crazy. 


When some neighbors moved from a house to an apartment (actually to separate apartments), they gave us their plants.  This crepe myrtle was one of those.  It's a very light pink.


I know you can hardly see the phlox in this picture.  But, the garden has gotten so thick and it's been raining so much that I couldn't get to the other side of them to take a better picture.  There's basically a bank of them in bloom now.


 I had a place for shady hanging baskets on the side of this tree and it seems that every year I add a new one.  The hanger in the middle is one we bought in Arkansas on vacation.  The next year, we bought two more that hang on the front porch and Rob has washed the pots with blue paint and filled them with red begonias. 


I officially start my new job today.  I checked email a bit ago and my new managers have flooded my inbox.  No taking it easy on the new guy, right?  That's okay.  They need order in their chaos.  That's what I've been hired to do.  And, they know it's going to be more painful for them than me because they've been operating in chaos for about 13 years...since I was in this job the last time.  But, last time, I was part of the chaos and in those 13 years, I learned to calm my own chaos and tame the chaos created by others.  It's what I do.  I bring order and deliberation.

Everybody have a great week!  I'm at least going to try to find 15 minutes to wipe the dust off my desk and get a clean start.

Lane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Garden looks amazing! Good luck with your new job. You can’t take your stitch ripper to work, but you can tuck your shirt in. Everything will be fine. No doubt you will have interesting stories about your new coworkers. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new job. You should have them straightened out in no time. The garden is great, love the Mallow, do not have one.
Would like to have a chase tree, just noticed them for first time this bloom season. Hope you can find all the items you put back in new places. Keep your shirt tucked in...lum

Rebecca Grace said...

Good luck with the new job, Lane. You definitely have the right attitude going in! Your garden is lovely as always -- isn't it a joy when a plant you thought was dead surprises you by not just barely living but by putting out a big, extravagant BLOOM like that? The garden is a powerful metaphor for life, I think. Things that seem dead today very well might be blooming and thriving if we just keep tending to them and give them some time.