1/6/20

First finishes of 2020

But, really.  Only one should count because the other one was started in early November.

I finished my jacket on Thursday.  It took a lot of days to make, but only about 20 hours.  I kept having to stop and like, do normal things like eat and chores.  The time was well spent though because I learned more about garment sewing and also got to practice what I've learned about pattern alteration.  I think that was my second or third zipper to ever put in, so when I got to that step, there was a long break while I avoided that.  Then, early one morning, when I was fresh and alert, I just did it.  And, it went in perfect on the first try. 

 

It couldn't have come out a better fit.  And, then, I messed up a buttonhole on one of the cuffs, so eventually, I'll want to take that cuff off and replace it...easy enough.  Just not right now.  You can't see it and nobody will know.  Would I make it again?  Yes, I just might.  I love this style of jacket.  Casual enough for the grocery and nice enough for the office.  But next time, something more exciting than brown...

I also finished this afghan for Project Linus.  I had a baggie full of grey yarn and was going to make a solid grey afghan, but half of it was a different weight, so I combined the worsted with a bag of blue and white yarn and this is what came out of it.  Lesson learned...don't underestimate the amount of yarn it takes to make an afghan.  My yarn is mostly "inherited" so it's balled and it's hard to tell just how much yarn is in a ball that someone else made.  Rob says this afghan should go to a Dallas Cowboys fan.  Last night, I started a pair of socks for my TV project. 


And, finally, some outside pics.  It was a beautiful weekend here, so I took the opportunity to work in the yard.  I was cutting back winter dead growth and started my annual dig and divide.  I ended up with about 6 pots of things I dug up that are being moved to other places or given away.  But, the yard is already looking good.  Maybe too good.  It is January, you know. 



The camelia hit its peak.

And, there was a lot of shrimp plant still in bloom.  I made the mistake of planting this too near a plumbago and that became a tangle, so I've dug up the shrimp and will move it to another sunny spot where it will do well and the plumbago won't have to compete and maybe it will bloom next year. 

Technically, this was in the green house.  But, it's still a January bloom.  This is a Chinese Lantern or Parlor Maple.  I've finally learned to propagate it from a cutting and have my first small plant.  I plan to do more of that in the near future. 


Okay, that's it for me.  First day back at the office in two weeks (I did work from home some days, tho so I'm not behind).  Not looking forward to that.  But, it'll be fine and everybody will be wearing their new clothes and will be happy and feeling good.  So, here's to the fewest possible number of end of year crises that need to be resolved by 10 am.  Because I am not in that mood.  I got a bell for Christmas...the ones like hotels have on their desks.  It says "Nope, not today" on the outside.  Don't make me ring my bell.

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The jacket is perfect, what I can see of it!! I agree with Rob, the afghan should go to a Cowboy fan. The yard looks very good, wish mine looked that good. You do such good work, whether its garment making, afghans, quilts or gardening. Keep up the good work. lum

Anonymous said...

The jacket is great! Your garden is amazing, considering it Janiary! Thanks for sharing. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Beautiful job on your jacket, Lane! My sympathies on the cuff incident. Mine was a blue chalk marker that I accidentally marked on the OUTSIDE of my jacket and it was quite noticeable (at least, to me!!) :o((

Elle said...

The jacket looks like a great fit! Love your bell! I have a magnet that says "I can only please one person a day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either." It pays to have a sense of humor!

Sharlene said...

LOVE that jacket! looks marvelous and commercially made. Well done.