5/25/20

May we remember

Happy Memorial Day!  Memorial Day is usually a day to remember war and heroes.  We've chosen World on Fire on PBS as our Memorial Day war viewing.  It's a very different view of the war, a drama depicting Poland and England in the war.  We're enjoying it very much.

Last week was a blur of getting things done.  I ticked several things off a to-do list and ended up taking Friday off and spending it working around the house.  I love a list.  Sometimes I add things to my list after they're done, just so I can cross them off and get that feeling of accomplishment.  If I don't keep a list then the things I really want to do don't get done because I'm busy doing things that are more fun.  I did a lot of work outside and spent a good bit of time enjoying the garden. 

I love this view.  I round a curve in the path and this stretches out in front of me.  I'm so glad I put that stone path through the garden.  It splits the garden so I can use more medium height plants. 


We had a couple new daylilies bloom. 

The yellows are about done, but plenty of others are putting up scapes. 


My greenhouse is well constructed but it's aging and needs repairs.  We were thinking it would need a new roof because I couldn't see through it, but replacing that roof was not in my budget for this year.  I decided to give cleaning it a try so I bought a cheap mop in the grocery last week and on Friday, I pulled out a ladder and climbed up and started mopping my roof.  I'm sure all the neighbors got a good laugh about the old guy mopping a roof, but I'm pretty sure you'll see why it was worth it.  This is the before... 

And, this is the after...

I had to move plants around because some were going to be in spots that were too sunny under all that clean, including this very happy begonia.  This came from Linda's and I don't know very much about growing Begonias so we've struggled together.  But, I must be doing something right. 



I also did some fun cooking.  One night last week, Rob came home talking about cobbler.  I don't know why, but it was the subject of conversation at work.  That was all I needed and the next day, when I was in the grocery,  I bought enough blackberries to make a boy scout cobbler.  It was heavenly and I'm sure I ate way too much of it. 


And, speaking of unhealthy eating, everybody deserves a chili cheese dog once in a while, right?  I mean, isn't that what eating all those nuts and berries and salads is for?  A little splurge once in a while?


Y'all know we eat healthy most of the time, right?  If not, those are not typical things we eat.  But, we do love them once in a while.

Okay, last picture.  I'm up to 120 blocks completed and another 20 in progress.  I've pulled out several larger balls of yarn and am doing my best to keep up the variety, but there isn't much variety left in that bin of yarn scraps.  Anyway, I'm thinking I need 150 and I think I can manage that without it all looking green.  I also noticed that it doesn't look nearly as bright and cheerful in this picture as in real life.  That might have something to do with the green.  I can't help it.  Green is my favorite color...the more olive shaded the better.  Hopefully a little rearranging will help. 


And, just like that, the week was over.  On Saturday, we had a big shopping day and went to the garden center, Academy for walking shoes, and Michael's for yarn and sidewalk chalk.  It felt like a much bigger day than it probably was, but it was the first time I'd gone anywhere except the grocery or pharmacy since March 16.  Things that wouldn't have bothered me before, like people breaking long lines at the checkout made me very anxious because tempers are so on edge now and just asserting myself could end in who knows what conflict.  But, we got through it and most people were wearing masks.  Oh, and guess who was breaking line?  The ones that weren't wearing masks. 

And a special shout out...I had the best bag person at the grocery last week.  The trip before, I had to stand at the back of the car and re-bag all my groceries.  This time, I didn't have to move anything around.  And, when I was leaving, I thanked her for being so conscientious and made her blush.  She deserved it!

---------------

Last week, I watched body cam footage of an older woman refusing to accept a motor vehicle ticket.  She decided to evade the police, then fight back when he tried to arrest her, and ended up on the ground being tasered.  (What the **** people!?!?)  And, I felt a little bit sorry for her. 

It's easy to see what's going on.  trump is treated as being above the law, so his supporters think they are too.  They get away with threats and intimidation and brandishing firearms in public and feigned outrage and belligerence, all in a death wail to their insistence that they are superior to everyone else based on color or language or money or just old fashioned bigotry. 

We're watching the end of a way of life, and they're not going down without a fight.  Based on what we know of history, they're doomed to eventually submit to the passage of time and the changing people around them.  In my lifetime, I've seen time march on, bringing inevitable change with it.  And, no amount of screaming and gun waving and embarrassment has ever been able to stop it. 

So, on this Memorial Day, while celebrating the heroes of the past, I'm going to also celebrate time and change and the unsung heroes, including healthcare and service industry workers that are keeping the country going right now. 

Everybody have a great week!! 

Lane




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just have to tell you, I can't believe the difference the mopping did on the roof of the greenhouse. Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Dot said...

I love that rust and gold day lily.

Tremendous job, cleaning your greenhouse roof. What a difference.

We do have new heroes now. And I'm grateful for everyone I see wearing a mask.

ceblakeney said...

As luck would have it, after 13 years of it being in garage limbo I finally put up my greenhouse last week (with enormous effort from my brother, who did the lion's share). Mine has polycarb glazing instead of fiberglass, but you can bet this old lady will be up there mopping her roof in a few years too, and will not care what the neighbors think! :-)

It is the end of an era, or at least the beginning of the end, and you are so right that they will not go down without a kicking, screaming fight. I don't expect that those who consider themselves superior to anyone not exactly like them are going to completely disappear, but I am spinning the prayer wheel that this next election, at minimum, thins the knuckle dragging herd. Voting is job one this November!

Anonymous said...

I love that you bought chalk! Thanks for sharing. Mary

Rebecca Grace said...

I love seeing your garden and WOW; what a difference you made to that greenhouse of yours!!! Thanks for the shout-out to the grocery store kid. My sons have both been working at our local Harris Teeter through all of this, cashiering, bagging groceries, and sanitizing carts. Stay safe and sane!