7/6/20

Post holiday, first Monday of the month

Mondays are never going to be my favorite days.  Especially first Monday of the month.  But, we enjoyed a three day weekend together; eating, watching TV, enjoying the dogs and the yard and being together.

I made the red/white/blue block for the star quilt.  I've been playing with the layout, evenly spacing the reds, blues and backgrounds.  Still not "it", but getting closer I think.  Next thing I want to try is a darker corner and a lighter corner, with mediums between.  I generally prefer layouts like that.  This one is regimented; dark, medium, light, repeat, marching around the quilt.  Unless I'm following a pattern, the layout process takes a long time.  I take lots of pictures as I move blocks so I can come back to a favorite later.  I came up with this repeating scheme while I was making blocks, so that had to be tried before I could move on to other layouts.


This is the last two block I made.  A great Independence Day block.
 

With a three day weekend, lots of yard work got done, early, before the days got too hot.  I tried to get out there around 7:30 and work until 10, but I'm going to need to start moving that back an hour.  By 10, it's miserable out there.  But, the garden looks great!

Yabba Dabba Doo daylily.  I moved this one after it was probably safe to do so (too hot), but it was enough to get it to bloom.  It had been in a spot that got shady and it hadn't bloomed when it normally would.  It only took a few days of sun before this bloom scape came up.


This yellow gives a second smaller round of blooms just as the days get really hot.


This is the star hibiscus again.  Every couple of days, this puts out a brilliant large red star and I am loving it.   

But, this sedum is the plant of the week.  I dropped it into a hole I'd dug a couple weeks ago to take out a plant that was getting too much sun and within a day, it had perked up and was going like gangbusters.  It's been singing a happy plant song ever since.  



There's a senate runoff election going on here right now.  Rob and I decided to early vote last Wednesday.  No waiting.  Without really talking about it, I think we've decided that every time a polling place is opened, we're going to study up on the candidates and vote.  No matter what.  Even if it's just to elect the referee for a worm wrestling match.  We're going to be there.  



We had barbecue and Rob's favorite, Swiss steak with mashed potatoes, and baked chicken.  There was another blackberry cobbler with ice cream.  I also baked bread and I think we ate a half a loaf while it was still warm.  I danced with the scale and this week, have allotted myself 1.5 lettuce leaves and a half of a cherry tomato per day.  Wish me luck.


--------------

Not much under the line today.  We all see what's happening.  America is seeing the level of incompetence and it is affecting the orange approval rating.  A commenter last week said "what about her emails?  what about Benghazi?"  

I would have written back and said "what about her emails?  what about Benghazi?  why hasn't anybody been able to pin any wrongdoing about that.  you know the orange menace has done his best to dig something up, and still nothing.  don't clutch your pearls at me and whine about Hilary being careless with three emails or America's failure to adequately assess the attack in Benghazi before lives were lost.  your orange overlord is getting Americans killed every day through incompetence, greed, narcissism, theft and treason."  But, the commenter was too cowardly to give me an email address to send that to.  

Everybody have a great Monday.  It's first week of the month and that's always a busy time for me.  But, I'll be working away, watched over by my little shadow.  If I get up, she gets up.  If I sit down, she lies down in the chair next to me.  If I go in the yard, she goes in the yard.  And, if I get a cookie, apparently so does she. 



Lane

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your little shadow. So happy you’re working from home....right. Probably follows you around to make sure you don’t sneak off to work.
The flowers are amazing. Thanks for sharing. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gorgeous new block, lovely lilies, and good job for voting early, Lane!

Dot said...

Imagine - needing another feathered star block or two and whipping them out. Way beyond me, but I enjoy the results of your skills.

Your little shadow had amazing soulful eyes.

Still waiting here for November elections to finally arrive. It's been a long 3 1/2 years.

Gorgeous loaves of bread. I can almost smell them. My daughter, an hour away, and I both bake bread. I have better luck finding yeast and have shared half of the last two jars I found. When I read about WWII rationing, I nod my head with better recognition.

Tammy said...

Oh Lane I do so much enjoy reading your blog. Though during these trying times, I suggest you skip dancing with your scale and enjoy all the foods you love. One cannot be content or filled up on 1.5 lettuce leaves and half of a cherry tomato per day. I’m a big fan of coffee and chocolate, since Covid 19 I’ve taken to drinking two big cups of coffee per day instead of one and spiking my coffee with hot chocolate mix. Your bread looks delicious, Bravo to you and Rob for getting out to vote as well as wearing those very cool face masks. The flowers and quilting blocks are spectacular. Please take care, stay safe and healthy.