3/15/21

So busy but not sew busy

Well, I guess the good news is I didn't start a new project.  But, I did consider putting that lilac appliqué  block down.  44 little. flowers. And, the first four looked like a pink sneeze.  So I took them off and re-ironed the background and re-drafted the flowers (lilacs have four petals, not five and the petals come to a point, not round).  I may have taken that too far.  But, it cut the time to appliqué on a flower by almost half and now that project is moving along nicely.  I think I'm up to 20 flowers. Just 24 to go.  Twenty-four more      to               go.

I'm not good with repetitive tasks. 

I finished the first sleeve for the sweater.  I altered the pattern on that one, too.  I was following it and I looked at it and it looked terrible...the top of the sleeve was my least favorite part of the sweater in the photo.  So, I re-wrote the last four inches of it and we will find out at some point whether that was a mistake.  102 rows and about 190 yards of yarn.  It is not perfect.  But, it is good enough.  And, many things about knitting a sleeve in the round were learned.  


Even though I'd already made one sleeve, when I started the second one, I had to take it apart and start a second time.  I told Rob I can't do anything on the first try.  I have to start it more than once.  I can't wait to finish the second sleeve and get them attached to the body and see how all that is going to work.  I've read about it in the pattern several times, but it's still going to be an adventure to attach the sleeves at the underarm and then knit the yoke and shoulders all as one attached piece, from center front, around the back and around to center front on the other side.  

The neighbors put out this rose bush for big and bulky trash.  The previous owners put it out to brighten up the place when it went on the market and the new owners didn't want it.  I kept saying I'd go back and get it.  B&B trash was supposed to happen the week of the big freeze, and I guessed it had died during that, exposed, with no protection.  But, I walked by last week and it was still alive and putting out growth all over, so I snagged it and cut off the dead leaves and now I have another rose in a pot...two actually.  Don't know what I'll do with them, but even if I saved them and end up putting them out during a plant giveaway, it will still be a win for the plant.  


Speaking of plants.  Remember this?


Well, it looks like this now.  

 
Spring is like Christmas morning, except it lasts for days and days and days.

The donkey's ear flowers have started to change color.  This is going to be a real show this year.  Now, I just have to grow another one for two years to get to enjoy this again.  


Okay, this photo is just to brag about my vintage bakeware.  I picked this up in Goodwill for a song. It's heavy and  has a yellow tint to it, and it's the perfect size for cooking for two.  These are for tonight.  There were also 6 porcupine meatballs (meatballs with rice cooked in them)  that I froze and we'll have next week.  I'm getting pretty good at cooking for two.  I got a new cookbook at Christmas that really helped get me in the smaller meals mindset and I'm applying that to my old recipes now, too.  Only problem is no leftovers for lunches.


Okay, that's going to wrap it up for me.  Time to get the day started.  

I am not vaccinated yet.  I wear a mask because I believe it's the right thing to do.  I will keep wearing my mask and if anyone asks why, I'm going to ask them if they had the flu or a common cold this winter.  I haven't heard of anyone that had either of those.  

Be well!  Go sew and multiply and cover the world in quilts.  The autumn leaf quilt was delivered over the weekend and they loved it! Just in  time to not need a quilt in the south anymore.  Oh well.

Lane






5 comments:

Dot said...

Your donkey's ear plant is till fascinating - absolutely new to me.

Loving the cabled sweater. That is so far beyond my skill level, I can just admire.

I read an article about the missing flu season this year. A friend and I were talking about it and sh plans to wear a mask next winter - because it worked so well this time. Still thinking about that one. But,like you, we are still wearing masks at our house when we go out in the world.

So it's getting warmer, just as your quilt arrived. A quilt is a treasure forever.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your plants are very nice. I have a 8 year old grandson. His school has done a wonderful job with providing a safe school during the pandemic. He hasn't missed a day of school because he was sick this year which is really nice. He used to bring those germs home and share with his family. His little brother kindly always shared those germs with his grandparents. Hope you get your vaccinations soon, happy stitching!

Anonymous said...

Your sweater is coming along nicely.
Thanks for sharing. Mary

Unknown said...

Cooking for two is hard. I don't have any cookware to suit small portions. Ebay awaits!

My Piece of Earth said...

Found you again. I have started a new blog recently. Please to read you are well and still quilting and knitting.
Browsed through some of your posts regarding the plants in your garden, the donkey's ears is new to me as well.
Keep well.