5/10/21

A baby quilt finish

 I got the baby quilt finished yesterday afternoon.  On Saturday, I picked out the border quilting and put something else in.  Those straight lines around the quilt were not very soft and comforting.  We also spent a lot of time in the yard (no surprise) and we just had a nice weekend.  I heard from Syd on Man-mom's day yesterday and while I missed my Mom the times I tried to call, I am going to see them this weekend, so that hopefully makes up for it.  

We saw the soon to be Dad yesterday, but it's been a few days since I saw Mom.  Last time Rob saw her, she confessed that the "new" had worn off pregnancy for her and she was ready to be done.  


After we took these pics, I had to pick a big thread knot out of the center back of the quilt that I can vaguely remember happening on the machine, but I didn't notice until we had it outside, taking pictures. Rob found another mistake in a corner after that, but hopefully, we got them all.  It takes two sometimes.


Usually, when I quilt a quilt with this wind pattern, I like to quilt the border in straight lines.  Usually, the border is nice and wide, and I can get several rows of quilting in.  That way, the border is as densely quilted as the center and will usually be enough to make the quilt lay flat.  Not so on this one.  I only got two lines of quiltng in and that meant the border was "larger" than the rest of the quilt and it was about as flat as a potato chip.  I picked that out and put in a round of little flowers.  They were nice.  


But, they weren't enough.  So, I started outlining them, and that's when they became perfect.  

The sweater continues to grow.  I took Friday as a mental health day and spent a lot of the day knitting.  It's very relaxing most of the time.  At one point, I took it outside and knitted on the deck, under my sun hat, listening to a book.  Taking multiple rows of knitting out at one time is not hard, but you do have a lot of yarn ends to keep up with and I took out three rows last week and wasn't paying attention to all that yarn and ended up making a really large knot that took about an hour to untangle.  Poop!  No new pics.  Nothing spectacular has happened since the last pic.  The shoulders continue to gently slope, but I can tell I'm nearing the top of the shoulders where I should be decreasing significantly as I narrow down the neck.  It's very cumbersome and I'm not sure I'm a fan of knitting a whole sweater as one piece.  It seems a lot easier to knit it in four pieces and then put them together, but don't quote me on that.  Let's wait til I finish this sweater to decide which method I like best.  

Of course, it's spring, so there are garden pics.  

Yellow daylily.  I love these.  I have some in the back, but Rob has them on the front corner of the house, where they get a LOT more sun and they're covered with scapes and will be blooming soon.  


This is a "green" daylily.  My dad liked these and collected some and shared with me.  Not sure if he and my Mom have any of them left.  


These are a very plain orange, but with a nice throat.  These didn't like being dug up and divided so they didn't bloom for me last year, but they're back with gusto this year.  


And, a few other flowers.  The first Shasta daisy, the first Nasturtium, the echinacea getting ready to explode and a close up of that orange daylily.  


The garden is so thick and lush.  I wanted it to be full of flowers and interest and I've got that now.  Each bit of interest fades and something new comes up.  This weekend, I pinched back the oxalis because it has gotten too hot for it, but it doesn't fade into the background.  It's one of the few plants that I pinch back when it starts to fade so the ground covers behind it can shine through.  I also had to thin the violets.  I think I'm going to have to be more careful where I let the violets grow because they're everywhere, and planted so thick it's hard to get them out by the roots and they will smother a perennial trying to come up.  I did a plant giveaway this weekend.  Things I had pulled out of the yard like weeds and stuck in pots.  I heard several people walking by while Rob was out front, telling him they'd picked up something to take home.  

Everybody have a great week.  I probably won't blog next Monday.  Look for me on Tuesday, tho.  

Do the things you want to do and be the change you want to be.  

Lane


4 comments:

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a bright and beautiful baby quilt! Your quilting is gorgeous. Knitting in the sun sounds wonderful - we all need to take that time for ourselves on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are lovely. The baby quilt looks great. You got that quilted fast. Thanks for sharing. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on finishing up the baby quilt, Lane! You did a beautiful job with the quilting. Thanks for sharing those lovely garden photos, too!

Elle said...

Wonderful quilt!