12/19/22

The big week

 It's a big week because of the holidays, of course, but it's also a big week because we're having our first freeze.  Rob and I both spent time working hard and we're both a little achy this morning.  Not too bad, but it's one of those days I'm reminded I'm 60 years old.  

I finished the Christmas cookies.   Just in time to give them away.  If we can stop eating them long enough.  I love having them to give away, but I need to remember they take a lot of time.  But ain't they cute?  Now, we're just eating the ugly ones and while they do have calories, they're 'good deed' calories.  If we eat the ugly ones, we save the neighbors from having to look at their horror.  Good deed calories wash away in the shower.  


I think I've shown you most of our decorations, except the Santas




And, the quilts.  This was a block of the month from a few years ago.


I made this one when I was into the tiny detailed quilting.  It's truly one of my favorites.  


The designs in the corners aren't a print.  They're the quilting.  


And, my very first Christmas quilt.  I'm reminded how long ago I made this and how far above my skill level it was at the time.  But, I love the end result.  


Yesterday, we packed all the plants in the greenhouses.  We have a forecasted 15* night, so the greenhouses will get their covers.  I'm making what Rob has come to call a greenhouse cozy for the small greenhouse.  With a light inside for heat, it should keep the plants inside nice and warm.  I'm using all the old fabrics from our bedroom; the roman shades, bedskirt and bed spread.  There will be four quilts (two sides, front and back).  They have to be small enough to launder.  Eventually, there will be button holes so I can lash them together along the edges, but for this year, I"m going to be lucky to get them finished, so they'll be sewn together around the edges with large hand stitches and a heavy thread, because I didn't start this project early enough either.  The batting is old poly batting scraps and leftovers and a couple of twin size cheap battings I bought.  The backs are lightweight curtains and sheets that were on the way to being drop cloths.  The edges are serged together instead of bound.  We're going to see how that goes and if it doesn't work, I'll bind them.  


Here's the inside of the big greenhouse.  Lots of plants packed into a small space.  This greenhouse is easier to warm, so it only needs a tarp for a cover...I'd hate to be making quilts big enough for it!


And, my thought for the day.  


Everybody have a wonderful holiday.  I know there are several this time of year.  If you're celebrating Christmas, may Santa be kind and your family be nice and whatever you're baking, roasting or deep frying come out perfect and delicious.  Most of all, may you be surrounded by people you love and who love you back. 

Peace, Love and Joy to you this season.  

Lane


3 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Holidays to you & yours Lane! your cookie cutters make me smile---we had the same set & never used the candy canes because our candy cane cookies always broke.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and Rob. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next year. Mary

Dot said...

Your quilting always takes my breath away. Yes, your square on point quilting is truly amazing. I like remembering each year as you worked on the quilts we see. The one that I don't remember is the penguin quilt which probably points out that I wasn't paying attention.

What a blessing knowing that good deed calories wash away in the shower.

Merry Christmas to yourself and Rob.