8/14/23

Goin to the dogs

 It's the dog days of summer and quite frankly, I'm melting.  I can hardly wait until mid-September when it cools off and starts to rain again.  Austin moved to stage 2 water restrictions, which means we can only use sprinklers one day a week.  I hate that, but I get it, and know it could be worse.  We gave everything a good watering on Saturday and I can do some hand held hose watering during the week to keep the plants in pots and a couple of especially vulnerable areas watered.  And, watch the garden start to brown. 

But, that's okay because it will all start over again in September for a fall spurt of growth to feed the roots through winter.  I have identified a few plants that can't take the heat in their current spot and will try to move them into a little shadier spot for next year.  

Mary asked last week if I was having trouble quilting through all the layers on the triangle quilt.  I'm not having too much trouble.  Part of that is how I ironed the seam allowances during construction.  I was very careful about getting them all turned the right way so they created as little buildup as possible, so much so that I took it to quilt guild, not so much to show the front, but to show the back of the quilt top.  I was very proud.  I'm careful about trying not to sew through the thickest parts.  The hardest part was the center where the squares are 1".  That was a lot of seam allowance to try to avoid.  When I was doing the spiral, it required precise placement, so I had to sew through the seam allowances, but with the feathering, I can make a slightly bigger or smaller feather to try to avoid the worst of the joins.  

Mable is doing well.  When this all started, she had a terrible intestinal infection and that has cleared up for the most part (it took three rounds of antibiotics).  She's comfortable and eating well and everything is working.  She gets lots of attention and treats.  Did I mention lots of attention?

We walk every day and she gets to sniff everything and enjoy being outside her yard.  The vet said this could go on for a while, so we're going to enjoy every minute of it.  She and Bella took over the couch last night and neither would budge to make room for me, so I was relegated to sit elsewhere.  By the dogs...

Rob finished the first shelving unit for the greenhouse.  One more of these and replacing the storm door and this project will be finished.  He's given me clearance to start moving in some plants, but it was too hot yesterday afternoon to get to that.  


Syd's still here.  Still.  On August 1, I reminded her that it was time to start thinking about apartments.  Tomorrow, I plan to ask how far she's gotten, but I already know the answer.  She will not like my thoughts on that, but it will get her motivated to really start looking.  We're starting to pull back on some of the privileges she's enjoyed, like just because we go somewhere doesn't mean we have to take her.  We can go on dates.  And, we're going to the grocery on Sunday when it's convenient for me, even if she is shopping while sleeping.  We continue to get along for the most part and I guess that's what counts.  I still want to be friends when she moves on.  

Yesterday, I made 1/3 of a recipe of Martha Stewart's Mac and Cheese.  To me, it is the best homemade M&C.  Not pictured are the tiny banana bread made from the one overripe banana that was left last week and a pitcher of delicious peach and blackberry sangria.  I was having fun in the kitchen.


Couple thoughts I found this week.  

And, where's the special prosecutor for this?


Thoughts and prayers (the real kind) to the people of Lahaina and Maui Island.  My family vacationed there when I was a young man and I have fond memories.  Such a sad event for such a normally happy place.  

Everybody have a great week!  Find something you want to do to change your life and let your life change.  Living is constantly evolving into something newer and better.  

Lane



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This “ old plant” can’t take the heat, either…HA!
Thanks for sharing. Mary