11/6/23

Endings

We said goodbye to Mable last week.  She took a turn last week and we knew it was time.  It was all very peaceful and she seemed ready.  The vet's office was great.  They had soft lighting and.a scented candle and when it was over, they wrapped her in a blanket and we left.  


She was a really good dog and had the best life a dog could ask for.  


Rob was, of course, bereft.  I knew that he would have a hard time and there was no joy in being proven right.  He's better now and spent the weekend puttering and relaxing and taking care of things that had gotten behind.  

I kept busy and out of his way, popping in to check on him but otherwise letting him get on with it.  I rewired my Grandmother's floor lamp and replaced the faucet in the bathroom.  I think I surprised Rob that not only did I want to start using that bathroom, but I wanted to start making improvements to it.  New towels and shower curtains, bath mats, jars and plants and new art.  Next weekend, I hope to paint the cabinets.  Re-claim that space.  


Yesterday was Syd's 26th birthday.  We had lunch with her and heard all about the new apartment and what living in close quarters with someone is like and what she still needs and what she still needs to do.  It was fun and there was lots of laughter.  Just the way it's supposed to be.  I shared a couple of experiences from moving into my first apartment and wanting everything all at once.  She's head strong and strong willed and the older she gets, the more in touch with herself.  

Life has a way of moving forward, then standing still.  After a death, things always seem to stop for us.  A pause while we wrap our heads around a new way, a new set of circumstances.  New habits.  And, then it starts to move forward again, slowly at first, then catching up to the speed of our surroundings.  

"The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing because you think you can only do a little" - Zig Ziegler

Everybody have a great week!  Lane




5 comments:

sewandsow said...

My condolences on the loss of your beloved pet. Thank you for giving her a wonderful life.

Debbie

cbott said...

Mable will visit, often, and bring love and joy. I know this to be true, as my favorite pet pops into my dreams still, 20 years after his death, and I always wake up happy.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I’m so sorry to hear of Mables passing. May she rest in Peace, knowing she is loved. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

Ach, I'm so sorry to hear about Mable's passing, Lane. Y'all gave her a great life.

Elle said...

What a beautiful face Mabel had!