5/6/24

Perseverance

 Sometimes, it's enough to be able to put one foot in front of the other.  Those are the days when perseverance pays off.  

A couple weeks ago, I found the biggest mistake I've made at work in about 15 years.  Last week, I told my boss about it.  I'm sure he's disappointed, but he's been a real trooper about it.  We've elevated it to corporate for advice.  It could be one where the right info was so obvious that it can't be considered an error or it could be a very expensive error to correct.  We won't know for a bit.  Fortunately, I didn't let my feelings about that stop me from doing more big things last week.  There were multiple opportunities to go above and beyond and I took every one.  

I persevered.

The garden is blooming up a storm.  Most of the daylilies that have bloomed so far have been yellow, but they differ in their shape.  This is the fanciest one so far.  I have a lot of very plain yellow daylillies and they look great stuck here and there in the perennial garden, but I have some others spread around that aren't going to bloom, probably because they're not getting enough sun, and a very large clump of plain yellow ones in the middle of my garden.  I plan to take 2/3 of those yellows out and replace them with some of the others. 


Last summer when I was mapping the garden, I kept having to write 'daylily, unknown' because I couldn't remember the color.  This year, I'm adding the colors so I can keep track of them.  

This one is supposed to be green, but some years, it's more yellow than green.  This year, it's definitely showing its green hue.  My Mom wanted to give my Dad a green daylily for Fathers Day one year.  They found this one and she gave me a little piece.  It's also having a good year this year.  


This was the last of the iris and the first of the coneflower together.  The coneflower will bloom most of the year and I have it in two shades of pink plus red, orange and yellow.  Those are about to start as well.  


The garden perseveres.  

Rob's gone to visit his Mom this week.  He tries to get up there once or twice a year.  She's in Nebraska and he has a new truck, so he drove this time.  14 hours.  While he's gone, I'm doing some very intensive puppy training.  Dotty is just not getting it and Rob is so soft hearted that we weren't making much progress, except in putting miles on the steam cleaner.  This week, there's a lot more confinement and control of how much space she can move around in so I can keep an eye on her.  Here she is sleeping while I cooked yesterday.  She's never been confined to the kitchen before and she did great!


Last night, she was confined to her crate instead of having the run of the bedroom.  She did great with that, too.  I woke her up at 1am and took her out and she went.  When I put her back in the crate, she cried a little so I took her back out because we want her to wake us if she needs out.  She didn't do anything that time, but when I crated her again, she went right to sleep.  This morning, we went out multiple times on leash and she wouldn't go.  I'd fed her so I knew she needed to.  She doesn't understand that the word 'no' means you're doing something we don't want you to do, so she'd go right in front of us with us yelling no right next to her.  And, she'd look at us and jump around to play.  We've been doing this a while now, so the only thing changing is the confinement.  The idea is to tell her no inside and take her outside, and if she goes, give her treats and praise.  She has a better understanding now, but I've got to get her to understand what no means first.  Thankfully she does better with 'leave it' which is what she hears when she takes something of mine and goes tearing across the house in a game of keep away...which she will play with my car warranty, but not with a ball.

We will persevere.  

Yesterday, I made onion jam.  I had never heard of it before and those four cups of onions I chopped cooked down to about 3/4 cup of jam.  But I put it on a burger last night and it was so worth every tear I shed while I was cutting those onions up.  My pint jar was a little overambitious.  A half pint would have been plenty big enough.




And now, it's time to take her out again.  Because that is my main job this week.  It's a good thing she's cute and sweet and smells good.  

Everybody have a great week!  Find time to do something you enjoy.  I will be spending as much of it in the yard as I can.  

Lane

I wasn't going to post this from Trump's Time interview.  But, damn, dude.  You are delusional.  The bias against white people is all bias people like you created.  Someone else having the same rights doesn't take anything away from the MAGA morons, no matter what they think.  



2 comments:

Anonymous said...


Thank you for your posts, comments, quilts, sewing and gardening! I retired north, gardening is now a challenge with a short growing season and resident deer who eat every green sprout not protected by chicken wire, and will venture onto the porch clean up the potted plants. I dream through your photos.

Hope you have seen Barb Vedder’s quilt It’s Not Pie, link to her original blog post.
https://funwithbarbandmary.blogspot.com/search?q=It%E2%80%99s+not+pie

Shirley in Canada
.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are amazing. No doubt you and Dotty will miss Rob. 14 hours is long. Safe travels to him. Thanks for sharing. Mary