It all started with the very center of the quilt, which is red. I used a gold thread to quilt on that and there was a lot of contrast and the quilting really showed up. Then, the next round was a pale green fabric and I used the gold thread on that, too, but the quilting disappeared because there was no contrast. And, further out, there was brown fabric and I used the gold thread there, so I was back to the contrast. My solution was to pull out the quilting on the green fabric and try using a brown thread. That gave me the contrast on all the fabrics and made the quilting really show up. And, it made every mistake show up as well...not just show up, but stand up and do a can-can dance. But, I persevered and finished the 24 inch square center and moved out into the gold sashing, where I used brown thread to keep the contrast going. And, I was not liking it. And, I was not sure what to do about it.
And, then, dear Rob came in and was brave enough to tell me what he thought about it. Now, it's one thing to think I'm making a mistake. I can second guess myself, and say that I'm just being too picky. But it's quite another to have someone else confirm what I'm thinking.
So, out came the seam ripper and I spent all day Saturday pulling out all that intricate quilting that I'd put in. I filled a trash can with thread (and covered the floor with it, too). I had put in 32 2"x4" leaves including veins and I pulled them all. I even redrafted the pattern and made all new parchment paper templates so I could include some echo quilting. After a trip to JoAnn's for red thread to match the center and gold thread to match the sashing, I'm started again. I got all the center re-quilted yesterday and started pulling the quilting out of the sashing last night. I was hoping I could leave the brown thread in the sashing, just because it was a very intricate pattern of flowers and leaves and I was not happy about the time it is taking to rip it out, but after I saw how wonderful the center looks with matching thread, it had to go, too.
I don't know if I've posted a picture of this quilt on this blogsite. I made it in the first class I ever took, which was early this year. Now, I've been quilting for 10 years, but I had never taken a formal class. So, I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave it a try. I like the quilt so much, I decided to enter it in a couple of shows next spring. But that means quilting it. My mentor had some ideas, but I just wasn't getting the same feeling that she did from it, so it sat around for several months until I got the courage to try something of my own. You can't see it, but the lighter fabric in the corner circles is apple blossoms and leaves. I'm recreating those as the theme for the quilting motif. Now that I have the theme and the right supplies and have changed to a machine that will allow me to use a different color thread on the front and back, I think I'm finally on a roll.
Y'all take care and have a great Monday. I'll see ya round blogland! Lane