7/5/16

A wonderful long weekend

It was our second first anniversary yesterday; the anniversary of the day we got married in front of the state capital.  It was too dang hot to do too much after 9am, so we stayed in and watched patriotic movies and ate good food and did family time.  Syd was off work.  And we all sat around and visited.

I couldn't sit there all day, so I got up in the afternoon and made a block for the Westering Women quilt from Barbara Brackman. 

 
I'm having so much trouble with this quilt.  At first, I thought it was because I was choosing my fabrics too quickly; not giving enough time to make good choices.  So, I took two days on this one...and I'm still not happy.  The quilt lies flat.
 
 

Believe me, that photo is flattering.  Hopefully, before the thing is finished, I'll get my color legs under me and manage to pull something exciting out of this.  Or at least "more exciting". 

I also managed to spend a good bit of time in the yard, trimming back trees and branches and tying things up.  Creating some order out of the chaos so things can get some sun and bloom.  Unfortunately, I might have cut one limb too many, so I'm watching a section of shade garden to see how much sun it's getting at the end of the day. 

I also got the idea in my head to start an afghan for Project Linus.  All scraps.  I started with the smallest balls of leftover scrap and am working my way up to the larger balls as the granny square gets bigger and bigger.  Crochet til I run out of that ball and then change to another. 

And, of course, I quilted on the DWR quilt.  I just keep going and going and going.  I've noticed I'm leaving a trail of scraps behind me, in every room I work.  The piper's going to call and sooner or later, I'm going to have to clean that up.  I'm not looking forward to it. 

I love Independence Day.  The barbecue and the fireworks and the patriotism and all the flags flying.  It seems there's hope for our country when we are all celebrating it instead of fighting over it.  I'm sure that today, some politician will say some stupid thing that will get me shaking my fist at the TV screen again.  But, for now, I'm basking in the patriotism and the freedoms we enjoy. 

Everybody have a great Tuesday!  Lane


4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Looks lovely....just more raspberry and mustard in the next blocks and your work is done:-) Elizabeth

lw said...

Happy anniversary!! Glad to see the next block. I don't know, but it might be too early to tell about the color story. There's always sashing and borders to figure in, too.

Barb H said...

I like your Westering Women block very much. Sashing may be the thing to make it sizzle for you. Be patient. Wait and see.

Carla said...

Hope you had an awesome but cool anniversary.
Sounds like a productive day