8/30/16

I couldn't help myself!

I saw it in the window and I just couldn't help myself.

Actually, the window was on my phone and I managed to hold off bidding for two days before I finally caved and bid 35 cents over the minimum on it.  I don't need more projects, but was looking for any history about that precut Dresden Plate quilt, and ebay is sometimes a good place to get information.  But, not about that kit, which I can't find anything about.  Instead, I stumbled up on this kit by Better Homes & Gardens, from 1987.

 
There are fabrics and instructions to make 9 blocks that finish 3" square. 
 

Vintage calicoes and a white cotton muslin, a piece of poly batting, and because these were supposed to be sachets, a bag of Potpourri, from 1987.  That went in the garbage as soon as I opened the bag.  Thank goodness nothing sealed inside smelled like it. 

 
The original plan was to make 9 little pin cushions.  But, now I've had time to think about it, I'm thinking a small 9 patch quilt.  The block not shown on the package is a little red schoolhouse block.  A very small one.  I can see why they left it out of the picture.  But, I'm going to give it a try.  I think it would make a great center block. 
 
I dunno.  I just couldn't stand the thought of it out there on ebay, depending on somebody else to decide to make it.  So, I bought it.  Even though I need another project like I need a hole drilled in my head and melted gold poured in. 
 
Sydney said her first day at school went okay.  She had trouble finding her classes, but that seems pretty normal.  My throat clenched a bit when I watched her walk up to the front door of that big office building turned school.  She seemed so small.  And, I could tell she was feeling a little intimidated when she got out of the car.  But, I could tell she was a little excited, too.  My advice for the day was to talk to as many people as possible.  If even a third of them turned out to be friends, that would be a good thing.  Unfortunately, she worked last night, so I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it yet.  I won't see her until breakfast this morning. 
 
Our little girl is growing up.  10 years we've had her.  Ten long years.  We didn't make everything better.  But, we stuck with it.  And, that's got to count for something. 
 
Have a great Tuesday.  Lane
 


5 comments:

lw said...

The mini quilt will be adorable. I can't blame you for snagging it.

I wonder about "making everything better." I think the seeds of happiness have been sewn, it'll take a while for them to grow. Having two parents who love her is best thing that could have happened for her.

Donna T said...

I buy quilting related things too when the price is too good to pass up!!!! Usually it is quilt shop quality fabric at thrift stores, not even my colors or style but it is cheap and someday I may use it!!! You have done the absolute best you could raising Sydney!!!! It's not like she came with instructions!!!!! When she gets older or has children of her own she will appreciate all that her loving parents have done for her!!!

Anonymous said...

You do not realize just "how much better" you made things. Not only for Sydney, but for you and Rob. You would never have experienced being in the ladies underwear dept. if not for her. There are tons of little things like that. When raising children, you must take the bad with the good. You and Rob have done a wonderful job as parents. lum

Kath said...

Miss Sydney is a very lucky girl to have such wonderful parents. I've said it before I know, but it is no less heartfelt.

Carla said...

You made things better. You made a family and a home. Things are always ribbons and roses when parenting. Y'all needed each other.