9/18/17

Searching

Short post today.  I managed to spend all my time searching for my Surface.  It had to be routed from it's hiding spot behind an oversized book.  That's the thing with a tablet.  When they hide, they are well and truly hidden.  It got there when we were cleaning carpets this weekend.  It's all part of our fall cleaning project.  Carpets on Saturday, and on Sunday, we did all the upholstered furniture in the living room.  The animals all stalked around griping that "you're ruining all our wonderful stink!" and "we just got the joint smelling like we want it to and you mess it up with all this cleaning." 

What a wonderful smell clean is.  It smells like nothing at all. 

I was trying to choose between two posts.  One was the baby quilt from last week.  The top is pieced and so is the back, so now it's just basting and then the quilting can begin on that.  Six and a half hours is not bad for me to piece a top and a back.  And, it came out really cute and I'm excited to talk about it...when I have the time to talk.

I also still have a tissue paper marking tutorial to do for the background pattern I didn't use in the broken star quilt.  I started it and got four blocks done and realized it was NOT right.  So, I studied how star quilts are quilted and found an inspiration and on Saturday, I ripped the old quilting out and on Sunday, started quilting the new design in. 

I decided to go with what I know, feathers.  Because there's a reason I know feathers.  I like them.  And, yes, I'm tired of them, but that just means I need to use them in new ways, right?  So, that's what I tried to do here.  Instead of filling each block with a feather wreath which is what I didn't want to do, I put the feather wreath in and let the star sit on top of it.  I think I can live with that. 


Friday, I spent the day with our friend, LD.  We had a needlepointer's holiday.  She has pulled out her projects and chosen some to work on and I took my projects and we looked at needlepoint and we talked about it and she showed me a new stitch to use.  Then, we went to lunch and went yarn shopping.  We had a delightful day and a lot of laughs and when it was over, I think we were both a little tired.  It was a great way to spend a day off. 

Everybody have a great Monday.  It's the start of a new week.  The next two weeks will be very busy...but then I get to take some more time off. 

I am excited.  I don't know how I built all this time up.  But, it's a reminder that I wasn't taking good care of myself while I did. 

Work/life balance.  It's all the rage now.

Lane

5 comments:

Dot said...

You were appalled at the baby quilt color choices, so I'm looking forward to seeing that quilt top.

And your feathers surrounding the center star really showcase that star. It looks like you marked the large circles and then quilted the feathers and perfectly round, tiny outer ring circles, all freehand. This is another beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

Your quilting is spectacular! Work/life/balance..??...sugar! I haven't been able to balance for years! I blame my sweet tooth. Oh...you meant the other kind of balance. Have a great day. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

VERY cool application of feather quilt!! Nice work, Lane!

Mari said...

The quilting on that star sis just beautiful. And what's this worl/life balance thing? Never heard of it. :)

Becky said...

LANE!!! You have outdone yourself! Spectacular!!! Stunning! Stupendous!! I think I have run out of "s" words to describe it!

As far as balance, piffle!!! I thought retirement would give me the time to achieve some sort of balance, but nooooooo, ain't happening.

Have a wonderful week, dear friend!
Love ya!
Becky