1/8/18

Powering through

It was a weekend for powering through some things that needed doing...and one that wanted doing.  I don't think either one of us felt as good as our accomplishments made us look. 

I got my first finish of 2018. 



This one is in the dryer.  I wanted to be able to take it to guild for show and tell tonight, so I put several very intense hours into it over the weekend.  The quilting wasn't finished and I hadn't started quilting borders yet and it wasn't bound.  Saturday, I finished the quilting.  I put some leaves and flowers in the border.  I used blue thread on blue fabric, so you can see them best this picture.  Other than that, it was just ditch work around all the pieces. 


I used a green binding.  A bold choice for a bold quilt. 

I know who this one is going to.  And, I'm a little nervous.  It's going to be a surprise.  The recipient is much younger than me, so I had to ask Syd if this was an okay quilt for someone near her age.  And, she said it was.  I'm so glad this quilt is done.  I think of it as a quilt of adversity, where the quilt came together as something really nice despite the fact it was intended to go in a very different direction.  It took a lot of tries to turn what I started with into something I could be proud of.  I plan to write about that in a letter I send with the quilt. 

We also worked in the yard.  January is the only month that I don't usually have something in bloom.  After a hard freeze for several days, all the perennials had died to the ground and needed cutting back so they can rest and come out full force next year.  And, Rob got all the leaves up off the grass. 

I was playing with the camera.  When Sydney got her new camera, I asked her for her old camera.  Now, I'm trying to learn to use it.  It's way more camera than I've ever used.  And, more expensive than any camera I've ever owned.  I'm terrified I'll drop it. 

 
Just right of center in that picture, there's a small sign that came from my Grandfather's garden.  This is it.  I was still in the same spot. 
 

I need to stand that up, right?  And, touch up the paint again. 


Fish eye lens.  Hmmmm.  Probly has more features than I'll need. 


Roses still in bloom.  So, this year, I'll have something in bloom all 12 months.  Sweet!

Okay, now I have to find a blue fat quarter to donate to guild for the boutique next year and fold that quilt out of the dryer and pack it with those bibs I made.  Lots going to guild tonight.  Everybody have a great Monday!  New week.  New year.  Anything great can happen. 

If I let it.

Lane
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

Dot said...

"Anything great can happen. If I let it." Hmmmm, I'll have to add that thought to my life. You are so encouraging in such a friendly manner.

Perhaps you have shared pictures of your bibs and I have missed them. How about a blog post on the bib pattern you like along with why you like it? I do donation sewing for babies and often think this would be a good item.

Another lovely quilt.

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt (as usual) thought for a second it might be for me, but the age difference corrected that. Your yard looks wonderful. Nice and clean and ready for a restful sleep until Spring. Ours is still covered in leaves and they are wet... Have no idea when we will be able to get them up. Wish I could drop in at Guild. Know there will be many many nice things to see. lum

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your first finish of the year, Lane. I think it turned out well. Anyone would be lucky to receive it, no matter their age!!

Anonymous said...

Anything great can happen....so true...SEW true! Love the quilt, any recipient should be thrilled to receive. Mary

Quilt-N-A-Flash said...

What a beautiful quilt. You are so talented Lane.

I can't wait to hear about the lucky recipients response.
I know it's going to be touching. Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to working on quilts with you in 2018!

And the garden ... the roses are WOW!

Cheryl