5/11/10

What's really important?

Yes, that's my beastie mugging for the camera. This was last night at her awards ceremony, where she got an award for A/B honor roll, including an award for maintaining that grade level all year. She's standing next to her best friend, who won the same award. Smart girls. This is important.



And, these are the orange roses she gave me on Sunday. I've been talking about orange roses blooming in our neighborhood and she saw these the other day and remembered me saying that. Funny, she can't always remember to tie her shoes, but she remembered that. This is important.



But she's grating on my last surviving nerve this week with all that hormonal attitude and backtalk. She's about to go on a school field trip to a local water park and we are worried about her ability to handle it. She's been to the pool with the summer camp group and we watched her last night with her friends. She's clumsy. And, she get's over-excited in a crowd of her peers and forgets how to behave. Knowing who she is and not pretending she's anything different is important.

Will we get the call that she's fallen and busted her head open? Will we get the call that she's drowned another kid? Will we get the call to come get her because she's out of control? Or will she go on shooting spree? We worry about her, and that's important.

At some point, we're going to have to let her go into the world and hope that she remembers all the things we taught her. That's important.

But, first we're going to drill her on pool safety and good behavior and not falling in with the wrong crowd and I don't really care how many times she rolls her eyes and storms off and says "I know all this already". We're going to do this for us. And, that's important too.

Because we're the parents and darn it, we get to worry when we want to. And, we get to lecture and frown and threaten and cajole and bribe whenever we want to, too. And, it's important to remember that. We have all the power. And, that's the most important thing of all.

Take care and have a great Tuesday. Lane






9 comments:

Becky said...

What awesome parents Sydney has!!! You hang in there, you're going in the right direction!! Have a great day!

Coloradolady said...

repetition....that is what it takes! I am so glad you had a wonderful mother's day...I read your post and got a little weepy! I have just been so busy it is a shame....but I am here and visit! I am proud of Sydney.....She will be hearing from me soon!!! Take care Lane.....your friend!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

You are great parents....remember that....it's important...!!

Enjoy

Trish said...

worry-parent could be synonyms couldn't they. We just had the "We-need-to-know-where-you-are-at-all-times" conversation this week. Ahh, the joys of parenting. Know you are not alone.

oldbatt said...

My daughter is only 10 and she says to me all the time "I know mama!" even when I ask her to brush her teeth "I know mama" and unload the dishwasher "I know mama" - if she knows then why didn't she do it already????? Lisa

Unknown said...

Boy does that sound familiar. And good for you for sticking to your guns and remembering who the grown ups are. My three daughters were a major pain between the ages of 13 and 17. Suddenly one day they each snapped out of it and were delightful to have around. This too shall pass!

Shay said...

Reading your post, I observed there is such a wealth of wonderful qualities in your daughter. Great grades, of which she is obviously proud (look at that smile) and she bought you something that she knew would bring you pleasure.

She's going to do alright. She has fabulous parents. You teach them stuff, hope it sticks and then send them out into the world to practice. Sometimes they fall, and they learn a lesson. Most of the time it all turns out OK.

Enjoy cajoling, bribing etc - you have a few years of it left yet!

Barb H said...

Hi, Lane. I can't believe Sydney--in the year or so since I've seen a pic of her, she's really turned into a young lady! And Honor Roll to boot! I remember when you despared of her EVER learning math. You and Rob have done wonders for her and she will be just fine with the two of you coaching her into adulthood. thanxsandy

Vesuviusmama said...

I'd say you have a good sense of what is important. And wow - HONOR ROLL! You, the three of you, have come a long way. You should ALL be proud!