11/7/13

Trim before? Trim after???

I noticed the other day that when Bonnie Hunter binds a quilt, she trims the excess batting and backing away first, then she machine sews the binding on before hand stitching it closed.

I apply the binding first, then trim away the excess.  I’ve always thought that it gave me more to hang onto while I was sewing the binding down. 

100_6184

But, I rarely get an extremely straight seam when I attach the binding.  It’s never been much of a problem.  The tiny bit I drift disappears as I hand stitch the binding to the back.  I noticed that Bonnie, because she has trimmed before she attaches, uses a seam guide that likely helps her get a straighter line.  I think I’m going to have to try that next time. 

I can hardly wait to finish this one.  I folded the binding and attached it this morning and now I just need to trim and start the hand stitches. 

I finally got a good picture of the quilting.

100_6185

I’m pretty much lovin’ that.

It’s going to be a great cuddle quilt for the winter.  Perfect size, perfect weight. 

Now, how fast can I hand stitch about a half mile of binding down?

Be well.  Have a great Thursday.  Lane

9 comments:

Moneik said...

I have always trimmed first and have very good results putting on a straight binding. I never press my binding in half either. I do use a walking foot and it keeps all the layers going together evenly.

Churn Dash said...

I used to do it your way until when trimming the excess away I cut the binding in the corner where it is mitred.

Helen

Kathy S said...

Hi Lane, I enjoy your blog very much- first time for a comment from me. I trim before sewing on the binding. when I want a really even binding, I even mark the binding with a chalk line on the seam allowance because it comes out better for me that way!

lw said...

I trim first, using a 12" square template at the corners, then a long ruler for the parts between the corners. I don't mark the seam allowance because I use a piecing foot.

Becky said...

Love this quilt.....these colors go so well together! I trim first then sew, but to each their own, I guess. If it works for you continue....if you want a different outcome do some experimenting! Have a fantastic, productive weekend!
Love, Becky

Kath said...

some good tips for this learner!
I love your quilt Lane, the soft coffee and cream with red is just heavenly.

regan said...

Gorgeous quilt, Lane! And your quilting looks awesome! :o)

Barb H said...

Hi, Lane. I've always trimmed the excess before stitching on the binding--absolutely no problem getting a straight edge. I also use my walking foot and the right edge of it is exactly 1/4 inch from the needle.

Carla said...

Love the look of the quilt. I tend to trim before binding.