1/30/14

Bathrobe do-over

You might remember that during the summer, I decided I wanted a new bathrobe and I made myself one.  I struggled through on a machine that didn’t want to do it and using white top stitching thread on a blue background and it photographed okay, so I showed it to you.  But, up close, it was a hot mess. 

The white topstitching was a wreck of inconsistent stitches because the feeddogs of the machine I used wouldn’t advance the fabric, just certain threads of the very loosely woven fabric moved forward and so there were long stitches and short stitches.  And, because of the loose weave and the off white stripes, after I wore it a few times, it was like one of those wavy line sketches popular in the 80’s.  And, one of the cuffs wasn’t right.  No one else would ever notice, but it bothered heck out of me.  Just a line that wasn’t perpendicular to the sleeve. 

It needed a lining.  So, I took the whole thing apart, picked out all the top stitching, spent hours doing that and then, I put it back together on my Bernina…the one I made the coat on this year…and it looks great.  I changed the topstitching to blue and re-cut the cuffs and I added a lightweight and light color, soft, striped denim lining.  And, it’s warm and I never want to take it off. 

100_6444

Except they’d look at me funny if I wore it to the office.

100_6445

My Dad said that anything worth doing is worth doing right, even if that means doing it more than once.  So, there you go.  Proves I was listening.

Everybody have a great Thursday.  I’m off to the torture chamb…ugh, dentist’s office for a cleaning. 

Lane

6 comments:

lw said...

Wow-- that came out well. Totally worth picking out all the top stitching. Again, you've taught me that the difference between excellence and mediocrity is the willingness to do things over until they match your vision.

Kath said...

oh I SO agree Lane. I detest the picking and poking that goes on in the hygenist's office!
Can I ask for some advice? I make mainly small quilts nowdays or wall hanging quilts and I've been looking at fusible batting, have you tried it, what do you think?

Coloradolady said...

WOW...my dad always told me that very thing too. I always think that is maybe what is wrong with me...my concept of RIGHT is often borderline crazy!!! Looks good...

lw said...

Fusibles are not archival, the quilt will only last about 15 to 20 years.

Kath said...

Thankyou lw, although fusible is tempting, I think I will avoid it. I'd like to think someone might still want to own and display my work in 20 years time!

Elizabeth said...

If you don't do it right, you end up doing it twice :). It looks fantastic!

xo -E