9/10/18

Still making labels, still cleaning house

The weekend was spent continuing to clean out our house.  I don't know if it was losing Linda or what, but we are both in a mood to let things go.  And, out they have gone.  I didn't fill another truck, but I did make a very large dent in what I have.  And, I started moving things into spaces I had cleared, freeing up space for me to access and clear out other things.  One of the things I did was have a "re-folding" day for all my quilts.  I try to do this every year, but this time, it's been nearly two years and I was starting to feel guilty about it.  We all know that folding quilts put stress on the fold lines.  If you look at the beautiful quilts our fore-quilters made, you can see the evidence of this damage in worn fabric along distinct lines.  And, I'm doing my best to not let that happen to my work and to keep my vintage quilt collection from suffering more damage.  So, one year, I'll fold them in half lengthwise, then in half, then in thirds.  The next year, I might fold them widthwise first, or in thirds and thirds and half.  Anything to fold them differently from one year to the next.  Are you ready?  This is my body of work, other than what is on display, and my vintage quilt collection. 


Absurd, right?  All the quilts on the right were made by me.  On the left, the top 4 bedsize quilts were made by me (and there are two more on our beds).  The rest are vintage quilts I have bought or inherited.  The very top has my silk whole cloth quilts, rolled on muslin covered pool noodles and in custom storage bags. 

I do my best not to let the quilts touch the oak of this armoire because wood and paper are not good for fabric, over the long run.  But, my grandmother stored her quilts in an armoire, with no protection, and they were still in good enough shape that we have slept under several of them. 

I was also making labels for the quilt show. 

I got this one attached.  I don't know why I covered my name.  I had one block left over after I made the quilt.  Not sure if there were intended to be 13 or some other number and 13 is what made it to me.  Maybe the manufacturer of this kit knew an extra block would come in handy, in case there were mistakes.  (Or, I needed a label.) 


That label is on the back of this quilt, made of the other 12 blocks.  This quilt is entered in the kit quilt category. 


And, I got this label made, but not attached to the quilt yet. 


It goes on this quilt. 


I do like a nice label on something I'm entering in a show.  And, I'm getting better and better at free motion machine embroidery.  But, I go through a ton of work to first write things out neatly on paper, then transfer that with a wash out pen to fabric, then attach a stabilizer and do the machine work and tear the stabilizer away and snip all the connecting threads.  But, it's worth it, don't you think? 

I'll get that label attached and get a simpler one that I made with a sharpie attached to the bag it has to be delivered in and that will be another one, ready to go.  There is one quilt left to label.  I may be attaching labels on the day they have to be dropped at the quilt show.  That's not so bad.  I once saw a lady volunteering at the show, sewing the last stitches into a binding of one she entered, at the venue where it needed to be entered.  So I guess I'm ahead of that curve.  

Friday was a really good Lane day at work.  I needed it.  On Wednesday, I found out my boss had tossed me under the bus by taking a project I spent months on, killing it, then the resubmitting it under his name.  The rat.  This is nothing new.  It's who he is and I know I have to protect myself.   And, it was no big deal.  I got even by circumventing him on Friday and taking a big project to his boss, without telling him until it was done.  I asked her to send the announcement, basically letting her take credit for my work.  Instead of him.  And, his boss is new, so I don't think she had mentioned it to him.  Ha-ha!  Two can play that game. 

BTW, his boss loved it, and since it was our first interaction, that will hopefully cement my name in her mind as a real team player, something my boss is never accused of. 

It's really not all that big a deal.  Just the petty interactions between me and someone that is way more petty than I've ever been.  And, eventually, he'll figure out how to tape his name on this new project, too.  But, at least someone knows it was done and that I was the one that done it.

I forgot to mention, we also cleaned carpet in Syd's room.  It took it's own designated day.  And, I got that mascara stain out!  But, the water that came out of that carpet was more like mud than water.  Gooness gracious! 

Everybody have a great Monday!  I'm off to see what other trouble I can get into.  What intrigues can I entertain myself with?  And, how can I stay out from under that damn bus?

Lane

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be yourself......and tuck your shirt in. It will be a good week. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Lane said...

As a left handed person, I’ve spent a lifetime mixing up my left and right. And I did it here, again. In that armoire, left is right and right is left. Thank goodness I don’t confuse up and down. Lane

Anonymous said...

Lane, once in a while fold your quilts on the diagonal, there is less wear on the fabrics,and the quilts do not form such strong creases either. Cheers from Western Australia.